First start up tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First start up tips

Any tips for getting an engine running for the first time on EFI? I am using MS1 on a 489 and trying to get it running. It acts like it wants to start. All the "gages" on Tuner Studio are working indicating that I am getting signals from everything. I have checked my wiring and am getting good fuel pressure to the injectors. Any thoughts? Is there a strategy or flow chart on what to do next to make it run?
    Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

I put together some tips here: http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_arti...up_tuning.html

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post
      that is nice, the primer pulse was first thought. it has it built in.
      that is a big engine.

The startup problems get more complex on aluminum, or fresh chassis.. ground loops, voltage regulation. Viscosity layers setting in new resistance.

It does go to rocket science on little stuff. That big engine should own the whole scenario.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Thanks Matt!
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

To echo Beagle, thank you, Matt. I have gotten the engine to fire for about 5 seconds and die and not get it to restart. Tonight it started for a couple of seconds and then would not restart. I pulled a plug and found it wet. I will back off the priming pulse. This is fun stuff to learn, but I am eager to get it running and driving (as most are, I am sure). Just don't have much time to dedicate to it.
          Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

This stuff really isn't hard and I agree...it is fun to learn! My only other comment is consider paying an expert to help you. You cant really hurt anything as long as you are not lean under a load but I got professional help with my set up and initial start. it was money well spent! The learning curve was easier and I got to the point where the car was running and optimized that much quicker. Of course you have folks like Scott, Matt, and others on this site who are hands down top notch and will give you great direction but nothing beats having an expert with you giving you hands-on instruction and help. if you are not in a hurry, do it yourself, learn, be patient and have fun. if you have a special application and/or have big money in your combo and little time, call in someone local with experience tuning with your EFI system. I paid a few hundred bucks for a local pro to come over a half day and help me get mine started and tuned. worth every penny!

ed

Comment

Working...
            X