Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which system would you choose?

I have 2 systems

the 950 commander system was on a built to the nuts 427 ford motor where the new owner had to hire out programming - so he gave up on it.

the other system, don't know what it was on, but it's a Howell EFI system that's missing its wiring harness... and it's easy to get, just costs $325... not really a big deal since I'd be in this less than $500 with the harness purchase.

but which system do I use? I am building a 71 Toyota FJ40 land cruiser with a 350 chevy, slightly warmer roller cam, headers, aluminum intake - but nothing high-hp or even remotely exotic. the motor is a 97 Vortec with a 93 rotating assembly (same 9.0 compression ratio). 5 speed manual transmission, 38" tall tires 4.56 gear... call the truck 4500 lbs.

I'm leaning towards the Howards system but am looking for thoughts as to why I'd run the 950 system...
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 11, 2015, 10:41 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

I'd use the Howards system since peak power isn't the goal (though unsurprisingly I personally would use an aftermarket ECU..). Anything under ~300HP the 2bbl TBI should work perfectly from a hardware stand point. One thing to watch over a 4bbl unit is the throttle lever and the "rate" the throttle opens with gas pedal movement. For a 4x4 you'll want less sensitivity on the gas pedal (you know this), and what I ran into on my Thunderbird was very little gas pedal movement made for lots of movement at the TBI, plus the effect of having two large throttle bores compared to the carb's two smaller bores. It really needed a longer arm on the TBI to take the sensitivity out of it.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

thanks, confirmation that I'm not missing something is very helpful.... now - to determine a project for the other system
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

the 97 L31 is starving, go for the bigger air mover.
        its as if they left off at the 305 sizing and slapped it on the big little chevy anyway.

computing is easy now, ems pro could nail either one of them injections. ($400 ebay).
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
        X