Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

External Electric Fuel Pump for EFI conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Electric Fuel Pump for EFI conversion.

There is a Ford external fuel pump from the 1990's that guys use on the low buck installs. I need the application or even a part number from a chain store I can use. This is for a new engine going in my truck and I am will be adding EFI soon after.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

I run two of these 1989 F-250, external, fuel pumps on my Skylark and one on my Firebird. My NAPA guys usually give me a small discount and they run $85 after tax and its an "on the shelf" item and most parts stores. It is a 5/16th diameter inlet/outlet, but I feed them into a 3/8ths line. One should be good for about 400HP, maybe 450HP.

I did have to warranty the one on my Firebird because it'd quit pumping after 40 minutes of driving (which I believed to be a vapor lock issue, but turned out to be a bad fuel pump). Otherwise, I have been running the same one in the Skylark since 2011 (I ran a junkyard sourced one from 2009-2011, and it didn't quit, I just wanted a new one in there for Drag Week).
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I just run an OE EFI fuel filter, like from an Astro Van, for a filter.

Comment

Do you know what engine you use for 1989 F250?
        Does it have air conditioning? Lol!

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

5.8L and of course!

Comment

Cool. Thanks.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

They're in something like the '87-'91 F-250/350's and E-250/350's. I think the F-150's only had in-tank pumps, but not really sure. You can find a nice bracket for the pumps under these vehicles at the junkyard.

BBR sent me one and its the one that protects the pump on my Firebird. I had it mounted to the floor board before I made this fuel system panel. You can also see the EFI filter I use. A carb filter before the surge tank, then the EFI filter before the regulator/injectors.

Comment

All of the 150-350 series pickups and vans of that era (87-91ish) used the external pump. Trick is that they were fed by a low-pressure pump in the tank, so if you don't have that, the external pump needs to be mounted where it can be gravity fed. Otherwise you can run in to issues when the tank level is low. When we did the conversion on my 68 Cougar many years ago, I got one of these pumps, but couldn't really get it low enough and close enough to the tank. So once the car was below 1/4 level remaining, it would have fuel pickup issues.

cheers
                Ed
                Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

My Thunderbird had the same issue before I put a surge tank on it. Both my Skylark and Firebird have a lift pump to a surge tank and the EFI pump pulls from under the surge tank and both cars I've ran the gas tank down to the last gallon a few times and the engine never hiccuped.

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed View Post
                    All of the 150-350 series pickups and vans of that era (87-91ish) used the external pump. Trick is that they were fed by a low-pressure pump in the tank, so if you don't have that, the external pump needs to be mounted where it can be gravity fed. Otherwise you can run in to issues when the tank level is low. When we did the conversion on my 68 Cougar many years ago, I got one of these pumps, but couldn't really get it low enough and close enough to the tank. So once the car was below 1/4 level remaining, it would have fuel pickup issues.

cheers
                    Ed
                    The nice thing about my truck is the gas tank is in the cab, the gas flows straight down from there.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                      They're in something like the '87-'91 F-250/350's and E-250/350's. I think the F-150's only had in-tank pumps, but not really sure. You can find a nice bracket for the pumps under these vehicles at the junkyard.

BBR sent me one and its the one that protects the pump on my Firebird. I had it mounted to the floor board before I made this fuel system panel. You can also see the EFI filter I use. A carb filter before the surge tank, then the EFI filter before the regulator/injectors.

This looks redicously complicated for some reason.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I thought it was just me
                        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

My 88 F150 (302) has the same setup - lift pump in the tanks, high pressure on the frame rail on the driver side under the cab. I'd bet it's pretty much the same setup on all of the EFI square body trucks. It's still the same on the '95 F150 (351). I'm pretty sure my Bronco uses the same deal.

I went the other way and used a Camaro TBI pump and an external regulator for a carb conversion. It's the same physical size, but 10 psi instead of 40-ish.
                          Last edited by Beagle; July 3, 2015, 02:30 AM.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post

The nice thing about my truck is the gas tank is in the cab, the gas flows straight down from there.
                            I'd be worried about running a return style pump/regulator setup with an in cab tank. I never could stand the fumes from the in cab tank in my old Ranger (68). I can't remember what Matt Cramer did with his, but he just went through this with an LS transplant in a vintage C series.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              I can't remember what Matt Cramer did with his, but he just went through this with an LS transplant in a vintage C series.
                              Spend way too much time running down leaks and replacing rubber parts!

It's OK now unless the truck sits for a long time. Thinking about converting to an under-bed fuel tank at some point.

Comment

Working...
                              X