Holley 4BRL TBI Injectors will not fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holley 4BRL TBI Injectors will not fire

I'm working on a Ford Truck with a 390 that has a Holley 4brl tbi system on it.
    I haven't found the ECM yet (hiding somewhere under the dash) the TBI does not have the black round top injectors , the injector harness is exposed as are the plugs if that helps.

The fuel system was plumbed with magic dissolving fuel line so all that was replaced as well as the filters. I popped the injectors out and removed the crap from the injector holders too.

When I key ON the pump runs for about 2-5 seconds , as it should as far as I can tell , but the injectors dont "pre squirt" and the injectors dont fire when the engine is cranked.
    The ignition does fire but ,of course, the engine doesnt start.

The engine has a MSD distributor with an 8980 timing control , just a simple non adjustable curve , and a 6al.
    I've never seen this truck run so I have no idea how it was tuned but all the plugs are rich,black and have been replaced.

I'm assuming the ECM is getting power because the fuel pump cycles.

Besides finding the box any other ideas on how to make this thing run?
    Last edited by Cyclone03; July 2, 2015, 05:49 PM.

I know you hear the pump, but have you done an actual check that either pressure builds up or the pump flows?

I would follow the wires from the injectors, making sure they are obviously plugged in, then secondly, you should be able to use a test light on the plug and at least one wire to each injector should have +12v constantly (or at least during the fuel pump prime and cranking). Unplug the injectors and just check it at the harness. The ECU should be giving the ground signal to fire the injector and would require an LED/NOID light to check that side.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Thanks TSB , oh yea pump makes pressure ! I didn't put a gauge on it but when I took the 2 screws out of the injector hold down then looked at it to remove one injector they all popped out with a gush of fuel that soaked the bottom of the hood.

A friend I've lost contact with had a home made injector tester that seem to be just a light bulb with a matching connector he just pluged into the harness , does that sound right?

Do you know of any test lights that will show the injector signal?

I'm trying to get the owner to dig out the instruction sheet and hand held if he has it. He had a shop out of state do the install when he was stationed there and doesn't think he has anything but what is attached to the truck. He has "garage boxes" that are still packed.

He claims it ran great for 2 years , then when he got back from deployment it ran but not real well , then wouldn't run at all and he let it sit about a year till last week when he gave it to me to get it going. The fuel lines dissolved , the system only had the 10 micron filter installed but before the pump. All that is now corrected but now the computer doesn't want to play.

I'm sure I'll figure it out ,I was just hoping for a cheating short cut :-)

I need to dive under the dash and find the ECM.
      Last edited by Cyclone03; July 2, 2015, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I can't seem to find it on their website, but I know the "tool" section at Autozone used to have two different NOID light testers, I think one was TBI plug and one was Multiport injector plug. Just hanging in their tool section. It should blink when you crank the engine (pull the fuel pump fuse/relay for the test).

They look like this:

(this is a picture of a MPI one)

The TBI one.

Comment

Thanks again.

It's a Holley Commander 950.
          I cleaned both the main power and ground connections.
          Has 12v at injectors , TPS , water temp.
          TPS sensor lead .65- 4.7vdc (from memory) but no jumps or breaks in voltage sweep.

My thought is RPM signal loss from the MSD 6al (I've never lost TACH signal and the MSD still work) it still fires the plugs.

I have to wait for the software now.
          Last edited by Cyclone03; July 3, 2015, 11:03 AM.

Comment

"It's dead Jim".
            Computer seems dead , it will not communicate with laptop.

Comment

Damn.

Comment

Working...
              X