DYNO SUCCESSFUL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DYNO SUCCESSFUL!

Went to chassis dyno (finally) with my blown v6, EFI, E85 chevyII on Saturday. Started out fixing a lot of stuff: firmware was old and seemed to have some corrupt files. We updated and that alone woke the motor up. Then we found why my coolant fan didn't appear to be coming on at 180 degrees. There is a 30 degree differential between my mechanical coolant temp gauge and the MSII readings! The mechanical sensor is at the front of the motor near the intake discharge side going to the radiator (hot side) and the sensor for the MSII is on the back of the motor on the intake (cool side). I would never have thought there would be a 30 degree difference! Anyway, we reset the fan to come on at 140 degrees and it seemed to keep things between 180-200 final operating temp on the mechanical gauge. After Peter Florance (my EFI whiz) tweaked my idle and mid range settings we started to make some pulls. It was running way rich and needed more timing before. Watching Peter looking at graphs, making changes, studying all the variables, plotting data and making changes to the VR tables was like watching an artist paint; I learned a ton wattching this guy work.

Anyway in the end we found the little 288 v6 likes about 11:8 AFR (using gas cal numbers) and about 25 degree final timing. Final numbers: 408 HP at the wheels, 385 ft/lbs torque, 7000 RPM, and all at 6 lbs of boost! I was really wanting to throw another pulley on it because its got a lot more left in it but it was smoking hot and we called it a day.

very happy with performance of the motor and support I got from Peter. Oh yea and Megasquirt rocks!
    ed

Dang on just 6psi! That motor has some grunt!
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

It didnt even start to make boost until 3800 RPM . Its got 500HP in it easy. Oh yea, and that was through the mufflers!

Comment

Working...
      X