Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Geek, Others - New Sensors

Scott -
    Do you have access to the newest edition of the SAE mag? There's an article about development of in-cylinder pressure transducers as part of the engine control system, taking this technology out of the lab and into production. The article goes into all sorts of advantages and abilities that this brings into the tuning arena. There are already a couple of Diesels that use this and the sensor makers are working on sensors that can withstand the environment in SI engines. Interesting stuff. I can send my copy on to the biggest geek (you guys will have to duke that out) when I'm done reading it.

Dan

Re: 'Geek, Others - New Sensors

Just scan the article and send it to both of us.

Comment

I think Dan honors copyright
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Jim's right on that. I don't want people stealing my intellectual property (as limited as it is) so I don't swipe theirs. Anyhow, I'll be happy to pass it along to whoever wants it. Also, there's got to be other SAE members on here who could spread the wealth (Milner351, maybe?).

Dan

Comment

I'm subscribed and have been following the new sensors they're talking about very closely. They also mentioned a turbo speed sensor from Hella.

Comment

We used these on almost all of our dyno motors with great success. It was just an impeller retaining nut with an imbedded magnet. The magnet, of course, tripped a counter every time it went around. A VERY fast counter! I don't know who the vendor was for this. How do they intend to use it in production? Will it be a control parameter? I guess I must have missed the article.

Dan

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
            I'm subscribed and have been following the new sensors they're talking about very closely. They also mentioned a turbo speed sensor from Hella.

Comment

I'm guessing it is for boost control.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                I'm guessing it is for boost control.
                and for diagnosing boost leaks, exhaust leaks, or any other problem with the turbocharger. We went through a couple expensive turbos on Huber's car before we figured out a couple tiny boost leaks. The turbo overspeeds.

I saw Banks using one of those sets of in-cylinder pressure sensors to fine tune injection timing on their Duramax - they are awesome. Closed loop ignition control will be very helpful for finding and maximizing power at all loads/RPMs.
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Bruce Plecan had one of his cylinders tapped for a sensor, but never got it working due to his health. The stated objective was to maximize the pressure without detonation but no idea of what the readings ment.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                    Bruce Plecan had one of his cylinders tapped for a sensor, but never got it working due to his health. The stated objective was to maximize the pressure without detonation but no idea of what the readings ment.
                    it's simple! it's widely considered that peak power comes with highest cylinder pressure between 10 and 15 degrees AFTER top dead center. All kinds of things change how long it takes to reach peak pressure (race fuel versus pump gas, for example) but in the end, if you can keep peak pressure around that part of the cycle, you're really close to best timing.
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Can we buy the SAE paper? Are there any paper numbers we can look for.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                        Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                        it's simple! it's widely considered that peak power comes with highest cylinder pressure between 10 and 15 degrees AFTER top dead center. All kinds of things change how long it takes to reach peak pressure (race fuel versus pump gas, for example) but in the end, if you can keep peak pressure around that part of the cycle, you're really close to best timing.
                        Pretty much what he was saying, the number didn't mean anything, just where it was and if it was still just as high
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I'll look into it and get back to you. I'm not sure this was a published paper but I'll see after I get back from Buffalo.

Dan

Originally posted by horsewidower
                          Can we buy the SAE paper? Are there any paper numbers we can look for.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                          X