O2 sensor placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O2 sensor placement

Where do you guys recommend I place the wideband O2 sensor on this?

I'm concerned if I place it after one of the turbos, or down further where the big pipes merge together I will get air back streaming under low load. It's a 454 with 049 heads.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Re: O2 sensor placement

wow that is seriously bad ass

typical recomendation would be 1-3 inches from the collector but in your case i dont think you will be able to get away from the light cruise problem. that part of the tuning will have to be done by feel because i think your readings will be garbage untill you are at WOT

Comment

those pics are nice but can you please please please please post some more of your car and the engine setup here man that is freaking wicked

Comment

Assuming the turbos keep spinning would the sensors work just upstream from the impeller housing? Not being a turbo guy I could be all wrong on that. They could be mounted on the back side so as to avoid messing up that killer look.
        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Either way there is going to be reversion

i would just put them in the part of the tube that turns down before both pipes go together.

i think you are going to have some issues with the way the turbos are setup but hopefully not.

Comment

Any sensors rated for pre-turbo heat?
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

he will still get false readings at light throttle

Comment

Do you think it would survive ahead of the turbos? What issues are you concerned with? The motor is very basic. 7.8:1, mildly ported 049's, Comp Magnum Rockers, 11-404-4 cam. I have a 11-406-5 kit but my machinist really strongly suggested against prepping those heads for it. The intake is an ASM manifold borrowed from my Chevelle. It's way to modern looking and very temporary. Megasquirt computer. I have two fuel tanks with two bosch pumps per tank. All four will come on during boost. I haven't decided on the wastegates and whether to run air/water or an air/air intercooler. I have no room for either. I have a belt driven pump to hopefully scavenge the turbos.

Thanks,
                Kevin

Comment

to me it seems that the pulsing going on in the engine will be off. i have seen a couple of drag cars set up with four turbos and they had a hard time getting out of their own way after 60 foot. each one i have talked with all stated that tuning was and remained a nightmare.

im not knowing your setup because i think it looks awesome but practicality may not be there. i hope you prove me wrong.

the sensor would probably survive before the turbo but you will still have a false reading issue at part throttle.

Comment

I was thinking about installing one wastegate per side using a crossover tube between the front and the back manifolds, but the gases would have to be constantly changing direction. I started this project 8 years ago. This was my first turbo project and I found the four little turbos cheaper than I could find a pair. This was pre-Ebay.

Thanks,
                    Kevin

Comment

just givin you a heads up bro.

if you have more pics could you post them up.

Comment

It is completely backwards from Moran's quad turbo setup, but I had already started the manifolds when I saw his.

Comment

so you do tuning with aem and megasquirt only or have you moved on to others since your website was last updated.

what kind of chassis dyno do you have?

Comment

I was hoping nobody would find that. I need to shut it down. I've lowered my expectations for power output of the T significantly. At least with these turbos. As far as tuning, I do nothing now. After a few projects, I found it was easier to go to my day job and I would rather be working on my own toys. I would love to run an AEM in this but it doesn't fit the budget. I have a cnc bridgeport and I'm trying teach myself machining well enough to make some parts to sell. I bought a used 3d printer in the summer. VERY expensive to operate. The dyno is an old Clayton with my own electronics. It's useless for my turbo stuff. I plan on casting a larger water brake for it, linking and grooving the rollers if I get the urge. The dyno is bagged. I air it up, hook it to the truck and haul it to my buddy's shop to use it. I've used it in the driveway a couple times, but I don't like bugging the neighbors. I've never even had someone else's car on it. It's my car junkie trump card. It will get it's upgrades when I build my 100X100 underground garage in the backyard.

Kevin

Comment

cool deal dude

Comment

Working...
                              X