Holley Sniper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing the why... it's not like the air is reverting through the plenum.... not saying he's wrong, but I'd also have the MAP sensor displaying to verify what he's saying makes sense.... thumpr cams mess with the exhaust to give you that lumpy sound - so it DOES affect the O2 sensor, especially if it's too far downstream from the exhaust
    o2 is in the header side of the collector, so easily within 22". if it were any closer it would only be in one of the header tubes.

Comment

well, I officially call bullshit on these things will run with any cam profile.

Went with around .525 lift, 270 duration on a 114 LSA and the car was sucking vacuum like a new hoover. Ran about 5 seconds and died. Held finger over IAC and it ran better, the thing was just wide open all the time and had nothing to suck. When it did keep running, the headers all started to smoke. AFR was 19 area. So started over to let it learn and it quickly dropped to 13.5.

Of course, haste made waste and I cut the upper radiator hose with the new alternator belt configuration so the night ended without getting her outside. we also moved the temperature sensor to the head, which might have helped, but really tried to limit the changes to learn what worked.

I just wanted to update, let you know I do not feel like a complete failure anymore, but did all this tough stuff and bite on the simple radiator hose, so the idiot is still in place.

Comment

I'm racing my BBC with this cam XR292R 292/298 .666 lift and 110 duration and a Sniper. I wish I could eyeball your setup, but it does work.

WITH THAT SAID, the IAC on mine has been a constant source of irritation because if it isn't exercised enough, it will stick
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 2, 2022, 08:30 AM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm racing my BBC with this cam XR292R 292/298 .666 lift and 110 duration and a Sniper. I wish I could eyeball your setup, but it does work.

WITH THAT SAID, the IAC on mine has been a constant source of irritation because if it isn't exercised enough, it will stick
          we won a contest for Magnacore wires that is supposed to reduce the signal wires interference that short out the IAC, but we replaced that three times on the original unit.

What did you install that cam at?

Comment

It's the cam in the Corvette.

Comment

It's the cam in the Corvette.
              I was asking where you installed it. Advanced, retarded?

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post

I was asking where you installed it. Advanced, retarded?
                Comp cams grinds 4 degrees advanced in their cams - so 'straight up' which is, on a dial, 4 degrees advanced.... otherwise it doesn't clear the pistons....

Comment

well, vacuum seems to help. We were readjusting the rockers, knocked the check valve off the brake booster and it sounded like we cut a tire.
                  Did find the block hugger headers we have had for 8 years or so, look like 1.5 to 2 1/4 collector, we can probably up that to 3" ball socket and get the O2 sensor about a foot away in stead of the long tube hooker headers. Do the math and 4 1.5 are the same volume as the 3" pipe so maybe enough?

Do not know about just putting it in one tube. Just little advances as we go, trying to let it learn, but first fire up it was popping lean, tried to let it learn on its own but the exhaust was smoking within 3 minutes. I am sure there is a bunch of residue burning up in there, it is getting more of a hollow sound. Went back to new setup and tried to let it learn again but it will not enrichen enough to stop popping on its own, but still hesitates.

Comment

well, vacuum seems to help. We were readjusting the rockers, knocked the check valve off the brake booster and it sounded like we cut a tire.
                    Did find the block hugger headers we have had for 8 years or so, look like 1.5 to 2 1/4 collector, we can probably up that to 3" ball socket and get the O2 sensor about a foot away in stead of the long tube hooker headers. Do the math and 4 1.5 are the same volume as the 3" pipe so maybe enough?

Do not know about just putting it in one tube. Just little advances as we go, trying to let it learn, but first fire up it was popping lean, tried to let it learn on its own but the exhaust was smoking within 3 minutes. I am sure there is a bunch of residue burning up in there, it is getting more of a hollow sound. Went back to new setup and tried to let it learn again but it will not enrichen enough to stop popping on its own, but still hesitates.
                    put it on 1,2, 7 or 8. There are some people who run 8 sensors.... one is just fine.

Comment

put it on 1,2, 7 or 8. There are some people who run 8 sensors.... one is just fine.
                      Eventually I am sure we will go to the intake with 8 injectors. Just using this as a learning curve. There is are a couple guy with a Pro Flow 1 setup, mainly less wiring, one for 300 one for 600 that I can see using all 8 to really fine tune, but its a way away. I figured there would be more heat in the Siamese cylinders that would probably read hotter, but I guess we will decide. The trans needs a little shim to bring everything up a bit, I think I got the front seal oil leak taken care of but the valve covers are still dripping, so we will probably drop a header and see what the huggers look like when we get it up this weekend. It struggles in first, but screams in second, so its little things now. Finally getting temperature so its getting closer.

Comment

we were about to try a different intake again when my son decided to look down and see the injectors, two corners were spraying, 2 were dribbling. Put the first sniper back on and all 4 were spraying and guess what, it works again. Just like with the cam swap, super fat at start up again, fuel popping up off the throttle blades, out the rear throttle shaft.

I am seeing a 522-361S replacement available now. Guess we give it a few weeks and see if she finds happiness tuning itself.

Comment

we were about to try a different intake again when my son decided to look down and see the injectors, two corners were spraying, 2 were dribbling. Put the first sniper back on and all 4 were spraying and guess what, it works again. Just like with the cam swap, super fat at start up again, fuel popping up off the throttle blades, out the rear throttle shaft.

I am seeing a 522-361S replacement available now. Guess we give it a few weeks and see if she finds happiness tuning itself.
                          dribbling is bad. I had that issue with FiTech in my FJ40 - that said, FiTech, when I told them the problem sent me new injectors and 2 spares (now you know why I'm conflicted in my relationship with them)

Comment

Working...
                          X