Fast 2.0 EFI Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast 2.0 EFI Update

I had the Fast 2.0 EFI installed on the "Beast"(1990 Chevy pickup / 496 ci) over the winter. Didn't get much time to drive it before Power Tour so I thought it would run fine on tour. Wrong, Sunday, Monday & Tuesday it ran like crap. Pulled into the Comp tent everyday to have the "experts" dial in a tune to fix the problem.......never worked. So on Tuesday night went to the show at Texas Motor Speedway and a guy parked in front of me heard and saw the Beast. So I went to showing him the truck, when I opened the hood and he saw that I had the Fast EFI he asked how I liked it. Well my response was "not worth a damn". His response was he could fix it. He proceeded to tell me he had it on his Camaro with the same engine I have and it ran like crap. He spend $5000. and called Comp everyday for six months before talking to someone in the know that shared with him how to fix it. It appears that the butterflies in the throttle body are not synchronized from the factory and for the throttle body to work right they have to be. Luckily the linkage is adjustable and with two turns the butteries were synchronized. The Beast came to life and ran better with each day. Went from 9.2 mpg to 12.9 w/AC on and 13.3 without. Went over to the Comp tent to share this information with them and looked at me like a deer in the headlights. So here is the bottom line, don't expect these "college kids" to know how to tune your EFI they only know software and this wasn't a software problem it's really a Quality Control problem which you would think they would address.
    Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
    The older I get The Faster I was!

Glad you got the problem solved. 13mpg from a 496 is nothing to sneeze at.

Comment

Had a similar issue with the Holley Terminator. I/ we have it running good just normal driving. Made the whole tour with only one minor adjustment. But it will stumble and fall on its face when the throttle is slammed open when trying to do a burnout or launch. I have talked to a bunch of different people and have gotten a bunch of different suggestions. Nothing has helped yet. These Bolt on injection systems are not as user friendly as they claim.
      I have ADD with a lazy feature.....according to my wife!

Comment

Yep they don't live up to the advertising for sure but knowing about the butterflies on the Fast I would buy another one. Thinking about putting one on the Banana Boat for next years Tour.

I did order a DVD from Steve Morris Engines on how to tune the Fast hoping I can learn something.
        Last edited by Big Dave; July 2, 2016, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I debated long and hard between the Fast and Holley. Holley winning out due to name recognition and support. I would also buy another and very well may put one on the fairlane project. With that said I would recommend anyone buying a self tune EFI to look for a local tuner or anyone that can give you support or a life line to help with the learning curve.

Comment

Originally posted by mike327 View Post
            With that said I would recommend anyone buying a self tune EFI to look for a local tuner or anyone that can give you support or a life line to help with the learning curve.
            I agree 100% because Holley support SUCKS OUT LOUD!

Comment

And Comp/Fast is just as bad

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

I agree 100% because Holley support SUCKS OUT LOUD!
                I need to recant this statement! While it was true with some of my early interactions where I was clearly clueless, my most recent experience with them was good. They were helpful in resolving an issue I was having with my system. SO, I guess (as with most things in life) - it depends on the situation and how you present it to them.

Anyway, I just wanted to note I had a very good experience with Holley Tech Support recently.

Comment

Big Dave what was the out come with the EFI?

Comment

Well not good. After receiving the computer and throttle body back installed on the Beast. The damn thing ran great for a week, couldn't have been happier.......then it reverted back to it's old running like shit. I have now reinstalled the carb set up and got my truck running like it should.......anybody want to buy a used FAST EFI system???

Comment

Working...
                    X