Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How thicl does an EDIS need to be to function correctly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How thicl does an EDIS need to be to function correctly?

I am switching over from an MSD distributor, ignition box and coil to an EDIS setup with Pantera EFI coils, EFISource ignitor and LS-! sensor. I read that there are some issues with aftermarket EDIS wheels that are thin, .125-2." thick.

Has anyone had a problem with these and if so what was the solution?
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Re: How thicl does an EDIS need to be to function correctly?

You won't be using the EDIS box itself with this then.

We've found LSx sensors need a very thick wheel to work; it's near impossible to make them run off a 1/8" thick wheel, and tricky even on a 1/4" thick wheel. The problem seems to be that they have a very small area where they can detect the tooth, and if the wheel has any runout or the mounting bracket has any vibration problems it's nearly impossible to make them work with a thin wheel. Thicker wheels are more forgiving of this problem.

Comment

Interesting. I believe that Scott (DG) has used the LSx sensors successfully. I'm using a Ford Powerstroke Diesel sensor without problem on a EDIS trigger wheel. Its set with a gap of .045.

Matt: Is the problem immediate, or does it gradually degrade. I also read his list as a setup that is not using the actual EDIS control box.

You can see my setup here: http://www.bangshift.com/forum/index.php?topic=7079.0

I see that you've posted there so you may have already seen the pictures.

Bob

Comment

I've seen two cars now that used thinner EDIS wheels, both were from DIY, that the LS1 sensor didn't like. The problem we had was, the sensor would track at either low RPM, or high RPM, but not both.

Lots of guys though, that I've tuned, are using one of the genuine Ford pieces with the LS1 sensor and no problems. One nice thing abotu the LS1 sensor and a OEm EDIS wheel, the sensor is VERY forgiving about runout, distance from the wheel, etc.

On the Hamlin sensor I recently used, it worked great with any wheel but it was *hyper* sensitive to airgap from the wheel.

-Scott
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Yep, I was looking into how thick you have to make the trigger wheel after DG told me the DIY wheels were not working with LSx sensors. And they don't work too well with them, unfortunately. We used OEM Ford sensors when we were working on the development of our wheels, and Saturn sensors, which are closer to the Ford one electronically. It seems that LSx sensors are less noisy but have a smaller area where they can trigger.

The OEM EDIS wheels are pretty thick; I'll need to see if I've got one lying around the shop to measure.

Comment

Re: How thick does an EDIS need to be to function correctly?

As the proud owner of two new DIY wheels and two LS sensors, black and biege, should I hit the Pull ur part for a Ford EDIS wheel, buy a Ford sensor, go back to the distributor, coil and box (ack)?

I already have the Pantera EFI four post coils and EFI Source HD igniter.
            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

We've had pretty good luck using Ford sensors with these wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                We've had pretty good luck using Ford sensors with these wheels.
                Really? Not a lot of people have good luck with the Ford sensors. In fact, a large percentage of people trying to use the Ford VR sensors outside of an EDIS module, are reporting problems at high RPM... I have some customers using them, and some were a nightmare of pot tweaking, resistors, conditioning, etc.

If you can help figure out that issue, I'd put more people on Ford VR sensors...
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Got a ballpark figure for the RPM where they're having trouble? Just need to check if I need to break out any unusual equipment for spinning the wheel or if our regular setup (a modified PhaseTronic distributor machine) will suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                    Got a ballpark figure for the RPM where they're having trouble? Just need to check if I need to break out any unusual equipment for spinning the wheel or if our regular setup (a modified PhaseTronic distributor machine) will suffice.
                    well, there are TONS of people that report this issue in various forums. But a good example is, using a Ford VR sensor into the VR input of MS; usually you'll run into tach spikes or dropouts around 4500-5000rpm.

Comment

Great, that's a little above our regular test bench's capabilities. I'll see if I can spin it with a router. In a lot of cases an inline resistor can clear it up.

Comment

Bill,

Did you get this figured out? I used a stock EDIS wheel on Rusty with the LSx sensor. Mine works great with .045 gap, but doesn't seem to care if its as small as .020 or as large as .080 plus. I bought my wheel from the dealer, or parts store. I can't remember, but I know it was new. Works like a champ, and with the mandrel I built it is easy to mount, adjust phasing, and adjust the sensor. Call me.

"A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Working...
                        X