Fuel injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel injection

I was thinking about going fuel injection and have looked at Holley and FiTech....the reviews for both are more negative than positive. Anyone have good results with any of the after market kits out there??

what is your goal for going to fuel injection?
    1. To be the "cool kid" in the parking lot?
    2. To get better fuel mileage - it seems like you drive it a ton!
    3. To make it start easier / drive better?

My experience was that I could have bought 4 custom built / tuned Holley carbs for what the total cost was for installing a Holley HP system on my wagon. End results was that it takes longer to start (sequential injection) and is not as easy to fix on the road should something go a muck. On the upside, I did get better fuel mileage. I went from high 9s to low 11s. If you don't pay attention to decimal points that could be claimed to be a 20% improvement but in reality is is much closer to 10%. Now I won't bore you with the math but how many gallons of gasoline will I have to buy to have the improvement in gas mileage pay for the upgrade?

Comment

We installed a Holley Sniper on a 502 powered 1972 Monte Carlo a couple months back. The owner of the car is seriously reconsidering his choice to do so. With the EFI unit, the Holley CDI box and distributor, he's now got a couple thousand dollars wrapped up in it, before labor. He could have had his Q-jet completely refurbished by a reputable shop (like Vintage Muscle Car Parts) for MUCH less money and the car would have been perfectly content.

Also, word to the wise, if you DO decide to put a Sniper system on your car, pony up an extra $12 and buy the progressive linkage link. As delivered, the Sniper unit has a non-progressive linkage and kicks all four throttle blades open at the same rate. On a torquey engine like the 502, it was almost undriveable off idle. The progressive linkage is SO much better.
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Hoping for POSITIVE feedback on Fitech...
        2 reasons. SBG is putting one on his bbc vette AND my kid has the system for his ls...

Will take negative feedback too..

Comment

Maybe the positive feed back for FiTech is the negative feedback for the sniper.

First off, why the hell does the TPS constantly re zero itself when you are no doubt moving its position. The other thing Holley needs to do is add a set screw for the secondary butterflies. I am going to do that the next time it comes off, which no doubt will void any other warranty.

As far as the progressive linkage, it has not worked for us. Cannot shut off those rear injectors so they are always dumping fuel anyway. We actually are using it to keep the secondary butterflies open a crack since the IAC has a mind of its own.

Other than that, the IAC valve has beem replaced three times, one injector was bad to the point it just constantly dumped fuel and had to be returned since they have no replacement parts and apparently do not want people opening up their unit.

This is their sniper, their dizzy, MSD, all the car shows that claim you are getting throttle response and better mileage are clearly getting the units for free.

They delayed and delayed these coming out, seemingly to perfect the learn program to the point of nobody at Holley will give you any tuning advice. I guess you are supposed to install it and trust it to go on a 400 mile trip so it learns your habits all at once.

Comment

just testing the waters....actually Edelbrock has the best setup anyway, and it ain't cheap but was this hobby ever?? Will stick with my $300 carb, thanks to all!!

Comment

I've heard more bad than good across the board, I'm thinking of putting a custom Q-jet on my 468 build, I just love the secondary sound. Yeah I'm old school and this engine will be going in the Iron Maiden Impala our new HRPT ride
              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
                Maybe the positive feed back for FiTech is the negative feedback for the sniper.

First off, why the hell does the TPS constantly re zero itself when you are no doubt moving its position. The other thing Holley needs to do is add a set screw for the secondary butterflies. I am going to do that the next time it comes off, which no doubt will void any other warranty.

As far as the progressive linkage, it has not worked for us. Cannot shut off those rear injectors so they are always dumping fuel anyway. We actually are using it to keep the secondary butterflies open a crack since the IAC has a mind of its own.

Other than that, the IAC valve has beem replaced three times, one injector was bad to the point it just constantly dumped fuel and had to be returned since they have no replacement parts and apparently do not want people opening up their unit.

This is their sniper, their dizzy, MSD, all the car shows that claim you are getting throttle response and better mileage are clearly getting the units for free.

They delayed and delayed these coming out, seemingly to perfect the learn program to the point of nobody at Holley will give you any tuning advice. I guess you are supposed to install it and trust it to go on a 400 mile trip so it learns your habits all at once.
                yep... all of this

my suggestion is watch what others are doing.... I've put TBI on a 350 (howells), now FItech on a 350. I also put a FiTech on a pretty nuts 427. I had EZEfi and frankly a carb was better (which is what I did to it). I have other EFI systems in the works including a MS3x and a decision point on a LS motor....

and here's what I think. If you can't tune a carb, then never get EFI. If you want EFI and can't tune a carb buy a ready-to-run crate motor from any reputable builder (Bluprint, GM, etc).

and an example - I knew the problem with the TBI because I can read spark plugs (late timing). I had a moment of trouble with the 427 but when I went back to basics, immediately diagnosed and fixed it (low fuel in the tank and idle screw needed a twist)... I think too many people get suckered into EFI for hot rods because their DD is well sorted. What they never see is the OEM engineers who spend months validating systems with a backseat full of computers and a front seat full of McDonalds wrappers.... and those are most vocal because they "got screwed" by the EFI provider....

and finally, EZ EFI - I removed it because it was designed for the person who can't tune a carb. The problem it had was the cam didn't develop enough vacuum and because of the loopy idle would run rich at idle.... problem was you couldn't force the computer to do what you needed it to do - it would take your inputs as suggestions and in my case, cost me a $100 O2 sensor every 1000 miles .... funny thing is the guy who bought it from me had a stone stock C3 and eventually he went back to a carb too because he lost too much performance.
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 25, 2019, 09:49 PM.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by 69 Custom "S" View Post
                  just testing the waters....actually Edelbrock has the best setup anyway, and it ain't cheap but was this hobby ever?? Will stick with my $300 carb, thanks to all!!
                  We started with the E street, got a too good to be true price on one, ended up being the end of the line for their original system and they were upgrading to the 2. The problem with the edelbrock is you had no control whatsoever. Edelbrock cannot even get into their ecm, it is all farmed out.

It gave us more power if you were to jump on it when you were already moving, but idle was awful. I am sure we will eventually go to a system with 8 injectors, just does not seem like anything that is being learned now as far as tuning will end up applying to that system.

All I can say is if you really want it, you really need to get a cam that is extremely mild.Big split overlap with long duration and no vacuum is not a good thing. We just live in Chicago and all you see are turbo imports with extra wound rubber bands and sit next them and really rumble is what a muscle car is supposed to do.

Comment

Working...
                  X