Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsquirt Trans Controller

Howdy,

As noted in my main thread on my Riviera, I've run into the problem of not being able to adjust the gear ratios in the computer and getting a bunch of error coded about incorrect gears. The leading solution is a Microsquirt running the 4L80E (nice thing is it could be used to run something else in the future if I go nuts) which means new wiring.
    I have a few questions, or maybe more correctly confirmations, about the implementation.

It's just a standard Microsquirt right? So I could get a used one or a basic version from a reseller with a pigtail and splice my existing wiring onto it correct?

The Microsquirt isn't recommended to be mounted in the engine bay but it could be with some extra sealant and keeping it away from heat?

What is the advantage/difference in running the input shaft speed vs. the engine rpm as the input speed sensor?

Can I split the TPS signal line (just the signal line) off of the EFI system and wire that in to avoid having to mount another TPS?

Thanks
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

I'm using the same solution for my Buick, but as I haven't made it go yet - I'll just give you were I got all my answers
    yes, standard,
    in theory, I've not yet found a schematic
    as with anything, the fact it's on one side of the firewall or the other doesn't matter - it's the environment.
    don't know (speed sensor)
    yes, in the manual I just attached, it talks about that

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Micro...rdware-3.4.pdf
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm using a MicroSquirt to run the trans in my Firebird. I'm not sure you can split the TPS signal. It's based on resistance and splitting the signal will mess with that. It either needs it's own sensor, it CAN'd in from another ECU, or it might work okay with a MAP sensor in lieu of a TPS.

I would think it would want a real engine rpm signal to manage shift timing, particularly at WOT.

You can get any v3(?) MicroSquirt and flash the transmission firmware to it to avoid the harness cost. I got a standard one and a short unterminated "engine" harness.
      Last edited by TheSilverBuick; July 4, 2020, 02:41 PM.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

OK, so I have to ask!
        What makes MicroSquirt the best option?
        It seems that lots of folks make stand-alone transmission controllers.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
          OK, so I have to ask!
          What makes MicroSquirt the best option?
          It seems that lots of folks make stand-alone transmission controllers.
          cost
          support
          standaloneness.

those are the reasons I went their direction
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Cost. ~$450 standalone or tethered to a MegaSquirt.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

... Because stealing light switches from the bathroom will cost a lot more in divorce lawyer fees than the 450 for a Microsquirt.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
              X