Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pump orientation

Howdy,

Does a fuel pump really care if its verticle or horizontal? Thinking of how to convert a TBI fuel system into an MPFI system by using the stock TBI pump as a lift pump to fill something like a a 5in diameter by 18in pipe with a 454SS fuel pump mounted lengthwise in the tube under a baffle and an overflow off of the back end of the tube at the highest point. I know these pumps are normally mounted vertically so will it care if it's laid over onto its side?

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: fuel pump orientation

Interesting idea. Would the 'lift' pump be operating full time with the 5 x 18 tank remaining full with a return line for the lift pump and the EFI SS 454 pump dead head to the fule rails?, or does that have a return too?

Obviously I'm not too familiar with production EFI hardware.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Re: fuel pump orientation

My idea would be for both the overflow and bypass to go back into the tank though I don't know enough about a TBI pump to know if it'd run in a deadhead configuration into the surge tank. Heck I could be completely overworking this and I could just put the 454SS pump into the hanger for the TBI tank. Worse comes to worse, this would work with the in tank pump for the carborated 69-70 Riviera's.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
      X