ems pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ems pro

can i install cop useing ems pro(ford 2.3turbo lots of boost) 36-1 wheel and cam senor or will i have too go waste spark ?and need to have lanch control!
    any help would be great
    sigpichttp://projectstang.blogspot.com/

Re: ems pro

Yep, with a cam sensor it'll do sequential coil on plug. (Not sequential fueling, mind you, but it'll run the coils sequentially.)

Comment

you can, but it's more complicated to set up. I'd recommend running wasted spark, even with individual coils, first. If you're thinking LS1 coils, they're not really the best coils for the 2.3. Huber runs a set of Pantera coils, which are cheaper than most MSD ignitions, they're coil-per-cylinder but they are run wasted spark. This eliminates the second input sensor and the tweaking of potentiometers to get it working right.

If you've done a lot of standalones, sequential spark isn't too bad. If it's your first - start with wasted spark IMO. Even if you are running LS1 packs wasted spark to begin with.

-Scott
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

thanks guys never heard of Pantera coils. could you help with pn.#

Comment

Originally posted by 93stang
          thanks guys never heard of Pantera coils. could you help with pn.#

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
            If you're thinking LS1 coils, they're not really the best coils for the 2.3.

-Scott
            rah roh...
            Why?? What about LS2 coils?

Comment

Thats what I have on mine 8 coils 140 solder joints in front of the fire wall Thanks Scott!
              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
                If you're thinking LS1 coils, they're not really the best coils for the 2.3.

-Scott
                rah roh...
                Why?? What about LS2 coils?
                ALthough they run in "wasted spark" when in limp mode on an LS engine, they quickly overheat at any higher RPM because they exceed their max duty cycle pretty quick. Running them sequentially, like you do, is much better, but I have still had them overheat on smaller 4-cyl engines that spend most of their time above 3000rpm. THe best ones by far are the LS1 "truck" coils which have a larger heatsink. All of them are the same Denso coil internals, which is a decent coil but IMO not all that spectacular for large amounts of boost. You will probably be fine running them at medium boost in the roadracing car, but if you develop strange misfire or tach noise when hot - the coils would be the first thing to look at.

They cannot touch the Pantera coils, which will spark a plug gap of 36" (not kidding either) if you wanted to, and they handily do a .040" gap at 40+psi in huber's car. And they've lived on his combo for 3 years now, and he drives the thing on the streets every day the weather is nice...

There are other options from Pantera that work too. Chad has a set of the same coils on Rusty that are in a pair of "4-tower" packs. They do not have an internal ignitor like the ones I linked above (you need an ignitor, or coil with internal ignitor, to work with mos standalone computers). these coils are so underworked in his case, they'll last forever.

Comment

Ah, thanks for the info. I've told people to not run them in wasted spark.

I had a set of the Pantera coils, but the second incompetent that wired the car smoked them when he overcharged them. Damn.

Comment

you can, but it's more complicated to set up. I'd recommend running wasted spark, even with individual coils, first. If you're thinking LS1 coils, they're not really the best coils for the 2.3. Huber runs a set of Pantera coils, which are cheaper than most MSD ignitions, they're coil-per-cylinder but they are run wasted spark. This eliminates the second input sensor and the tweaking of potentiometers to get it working right.

If you've done a lot of standalones, sequential spark isn't too bad. If it's your first - start with wasted spark IMO. Even if you are running LS1 packs wasted spark to begin with.

-Scott
                    thanks for the info got a few questions about the coils terminal A= 5v and singal low fires coil b,c,d are grounds E 12v
                    what about dell settings ?

Comment

the A terminal goes to the IGN wire of the EMS-pro. For wasted spark, cyl 1 & 4 get IGN A, cyl 2&3 get IGN B.

this next part is *extremely* important - it's caused many guys to burn their coils up, or burn their cars down. You MUST power the 12v of the coils from the FUEL PUMP RELAY, or a relay that is CONTROLLED BY THE FUEL PUMP.

Trust me on this. If you hook them to a switched ignition source, you'll burn them up. This is because the EMS has to "boot up" before it can configure the ignition outputs. It'll cause them to "charge" for half a second every time you power them up. Lots of guys melt their coils this way, so - pay attention. It's in the EMS manual.

Let me know when you're ready and I'll get on the phone with you if you like. -scott

Comment

the A terminal goes to the IGN wire of the EMS-pro. For wasted spark, cyl 1 & 4 get IGN A, cyl 2&3 get IGN B.

this next part is *extremely* important - it's caused many guys to burn their coils up, or burn their cars down. You MUST power the 12v of the coils from the FUEL PUMP RELAY, or a relay that is CONTROLLED BY THE FUEL PUMP.

Trust me on this. If you hook them to a switched ignition source, you'll burn them up. This is because the EMS has to "boot up" before it can configure the ignition outputs. It'll cause them to "charge" for half a second every time you power them up. Lots of guys melt their coils this way, so - pay attention. It's in the EMS manual.

Let me know when you're ready and I'll get on the phone with you if you like. -scott

thanks for the quick reply i just ordered the coils . would like to talk to you about this and other things about my setup

Comment

working with the Hubers gave me a WHOLE lotta experience taking the pinto motor to it's limits. And beyond, a couple times. Hit me up whenever you are ready.

-Scott

Comment

working with the Hubers gave me a WHOLE lotta experience taking the pinto motor to it's limits. And beyond, a couple times. Hit me up whenever you are ready.

-Scott
                            thanks Scott i well i`m going to try and get some of the wiring done this week ,install my crank trigger(looks just like horsewidowers) no more tfi msd

Comment

Trust the Geek

Comment

Working...
                              X