crank trigger set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crank trigger set up

my new 034 motor sportscoils well be here tomorrow, i`vie got my crank trigger installed but need help to make sure it configured correctly.
    here my switch settings
    SW1 #1on #2on 12v hall#3off#4off#5off#6on#7off#8off
    SW2 #1on ingA 1-4 #2 on ing B 2-3 #3 off #4 off #5off

coil terminals
    A ing A or B??????
    B good ground (ems)????????
    C?
    D ground
    E 12 relay via fuel pump relay

code settings spark settings
    36-1 trigger angle 60
    trig A3 crank timing 10
    trig ret A8 hold no
    tri B 21 spark inver yes???????
    trig ret 26

dwell control
    crank dwell ????
    running dwell ??????
    min discharge ?????

thanks for the help Ricky
    sigpichttp://projectstang.blogspot.com/

Re: crank trigger set up

What did the diagram show for the coil wiring, that came with the coils? there's a link on his site. Post a pic or something and it'll be easier to help you. I don't commit coil terminals to memory - not even my favorites!

I'm confused by your trigger settings. You won't use trigger returns, so those will be zero. You want to pick the TWO teeth that are 60 degrees before TDC of your cylinder pairs. If that means the cylinder pair for ign A is at 60 degrees BTDC when on tooth 36, then yes - you have it right.

Dwell: Running, 4.0ms. Cranking, 5.0ms. Min discharge, .5ms.

One thing that's not in the manual: you must ground the Optoin wire. Do you have a pic of how you mounted your sensor? it's *critical* that it's oriented properly. It doesn't go the way it mounts in the GM cars either, it must be turned 90 degrees from that. Best way to describe it is: the harness plugs into the sensor in the direction the engine is turning...
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

here`s link for coil connection [ftp]http://www.034motorsport.com/article_info.php?articles_id=161
      [/ftp

used my scope too get the correct mounting of hall senor
      sensor is mounted 9 teeth before missing tooth
      so i would use time base not trigger return

Comment

Scott's covered the basics; I just have one thing to add. I happen to like trigger returns myself - they make for steadier cranking time. To use them, you simply set crank timing to Trigger Return and set the returns to the point where each cylinder is 10 degrees BTDC - or 5 numbers after the original trigger positions. I take it you're using an LSx sensor?

Comment

I'm confused by your trigger settings. You won't use trigger returns, so those will be zero. You want to pick the TWO teeth that are 60 degrees before TDC of your cylinder pairs. If that means the cylinder pair for ign A is at 60 degrees BTDC when on tooth 36, then yes - you have it right.

i mounted my sensor 9 teeth before missing tooth engine at tdc per msns extra manual here's linkhttp://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Ex....htm#wheeldecr scroll down to (Where to mount the sensor and wheel) is this right??

Comment

That'll work fine. The question isn't the tooth mounting, anything will work if you config it right. The question is sensor orientation. If you are using a scope to test it, make sure the missing tooth period is at HIGH voltage - not low. If it's inverted, you can either turn the sensor 180 degrees on it's axis, or use the Opto-in for your tach input.

One HUGE thing I forgot: you MUST power the coils with a relay that is triggered by the Fuel Pump output. Otherwise, the coils will bake themselves when you first power them up. In other words, only have the coils powered up when the fuel pump runs.

-scott
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
              One HUGE thing I forgot: you MUST power the coils with a relay that is triggered by the Fuel Pump output. Otherwise, the coils will bake themselves when you first power them up. In other words, only have the coils powered up when the fuel pump runs.

-scott
              Yep, I've got four smoked coils cause I didn't know this, and neither did the guy that was supposed to know.

Comment

yes coil relay is controlled by fp relay

my crank sensor connector is facing down (5.3 Chevy) harness connector plugs in direction of rotation

Comment

missing tooth period is at HIGH voltage

OK had too reed again got it !

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
                    Originally posted by dieselgeek

-scott
                    Yep, I've got four smoked coils cause I didn't know this, and neither did the guy that was supposed to know.
                    that's probably not because of the power wiring, but the "spark output inverted" state on the EMS itself. Those coils want LOW voltage at rest. It's a good idea to use your scope or voltmeter to make sure there's LOW voltage on the IGN A-B wires on the EMS before you hook them up.

Sucks to boil those coils. they're awesome when they're working.

Comment

It's a good idea to use your scope or voltmeter to make sure there's LOW voltage on the IGN A-B wires on the EMS before you hook them up.
                      low voltage =5V or no volts

Comment

Low = 0. High = 5. Good question, sorry I didn't explain that...

Comment

just got an email from Ricky

He's got "vroom!"

Way to go man, keep us posted on your tuning progress. And some other user here might like to discuss how/if your crank trigger is working OK. With much help, we figured out that the VR input might be the better choice on the EMS-pro for your LS1 sensor, if you have misfire / strange rev limit / going on. Let us know when you ease some load and RPM tuning,

-Scott

Comment

Yes, I'll admit I've been lurking on this thread as we've worked through the power coupled noise issues I am having.

The current setup is the black LS1 sensor GM P/N 12560228 oriented such that the attachment bolt hole comes before the sensor itself in terms of crank rotational direction and is therefore mounted 90 degrees away from the factory postion. Gap is .039, it puts out a pretty square wave which we are driving with 12 volts and the ground. The signal wire is connected to the EMS-Pro Tach In and we are using the VR input, inverted with 2 turns off base on the R28 pot inside the EMS unit.

We are still chasing a brief mystery miss that occurs between 5800 and 620 and which we attribute to a vicious voltage swing we see under load at that RPM. More to come when its eliminated.
                            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

We had power coupled issues until the last rewire. We have so much shielded wire on the car now, its ridiculous. We separated the high voltage from the low voltage when we ground the sensors and went to the lug system, like the OEMs use, instead of the nice neat racecar block systems. The lugs look like ass compared to the neatness of the blocks, but is supposed to help with sensor offset issues. We basically tried to follow the directions in the Bosch Automotive Handbook.

I assume the voltage swing is a drop in voltage?

Comment

Working...
                              X