MegaSquirt II Timing Controls.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MegaSquirt II Timing Controls.

I've been going around this in my head and can't come to a definate answer.

Once timing is controlled, it's based on kPa and rpm. Now how well does the kPa translate during elevation changes? Example being like my T-bird. 10.5:1 compression, runs fine on full timing at 6500', but by 2500' I have to back off some timing if I want to merge into traffic with out pinging. In my Skylark last time I was in So. Cal. with it I found the upper limits of advancing the timing until I heard it pinging under WOT :-\

So if I get the timing all dialled in here in Ely at 6500'-7000', am I going to find that I'll have to back it off (with the Laptop) when I go to CA or will it account for that with the kPa readings?

I'm conflicted because the lower altitude has a higher air density, and that's what increases combustion pressures. But WOT here in Ely is 80kPa, so in theory if the timing is backed off at higher kPa (>80) that should be all the adjustment needed going to lower elevations....right? Basically is an 80kPa load at 7,000' going to be the same as an 80kPa load at sea level? The VE table seems to handle it the same, EXCEPT there is an initial barometric calibration for the VE, is there one for the Ignition table? I'll have the timing control from the IAT (or is it the CLT?) turned on as well to account for warmer weather.

Any clarification? Kind of why I want to go with the knock sensor route.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Re: MegaSquirt II Timing Controls.

You have it right. The 80kpa load will be "about the same" at either elevation.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Re: MegaSquirt II Timing Controls.

Thanks Scott.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
      X