Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NorthStar V8 Coil Pack Ignition and Module.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NorthStar V8 Coil Pack Ignition and Module.

Can these be made to work with MegaSquirt? There were a ton of them at the Junkyard when I was in CA. Seems the cash for clunkers was hard on Northstar engines :-\ I think cost to replace the module would keep me from actually installing one, but I am curious from looking at so many of them.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Re: NorthStar V8 Coil Pack Ignition and Module.

I'm sure it could be wired to work.
    The Nstar module is fed a 24x ref, and uses 2 crank sensors and a cam sensor signal to verify #1 for sequential and fast start.

It would probably be a "clean" way to signal a ms system.
    The module, I guess?, could send the "cleaned" ignition signal to the Ms, and the output/timing control circuit in the module would then receive a modified signal from the ms for fire control. I've never looked at the output to the pcm from the module (with a scope), just voltmeter in min/max, so I don't know if it toggles sine wave or square wave...hmmm.....

I'm sure 'Geek or Matt has used one before.

The modules are VERY reliable, as I've only replaced 2-3 since its debut in '93. A lot of coils though.

Comment

For triggering I'm thinking more along the lines of the MS getting crank signal reference then sending a timing signal to the module. I would think it's similar to the 3.8L six cylinder module/coil packs, only it has one more coil pack.

Good to know about the modules though, those coil packs are common at least. Thanks!

Comment

From the MS perspective, these modules work just like a 7-pin HEI. They're weird, and not that hot. You'd have to feed them the 24x input, as Caddyman suggests, then they in turn feed a square wave 4x signal to the Megasquirt (like your HEI) - then the megasquirt feeds them back the appropriate timing... Kinda like an EDIS setup. The downer is having to run the 24x trigger wheel for them...

My preferred crank triggered ignition is the 36-1 Ford wheel on a balancer/pulley (like Rusty). Then an appropriate Hall sensor, fed into the MS. Then use 4 spark outputs out of the MS to trigger power transistors and run the wasted spark coils of your choosing. Mitsubishi (also found on Hyundai) are the hottest, and most appropriate for wasted spark. LS1 packs are the next hottest, but not very good for wasted spark: Ford EDIS coils are the next best choice.

For simplicity, you COULD run a complete Ford EDIS ignition - just need the coils, and the module, and the 36-1 wheel with the ford VR sensor. This is super simple to setup and run...

but if you want a nice 2-step and spark cut rev limiter, ditch the EDIS module and coils, and go with the "Rusty" version. Lately, we've had some issues with LS1 CKP sensors (I'm beginning to suspect the quality of the non-OEM replacement parts)... we've been switching to Hamlin sensors, which cannot be found in parts stores but seem to be less sensitive to noise/interference...

CDMBill, JeffMcKC, Chad (Rusty), and the Hubers all run the 36-1 setup.

-Scott
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Thanks Scott. Yeah sounds like I'd have to grab a 24x wheel if I were to go that route. I'm still good with the distributor in the front, but the 36-1 wheel for triggering is still tempting.......

Comment

Any idea how the 3.5L "Shortstar" ignitions work? Slight hijack but related.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
              Any idea how the 3.5L "Shortstar" ignitions work? Slight hijack but related.
              It's cool, I got my answers

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                Thanks Scott. Yeah sounds like I'd have to grab a 24x wheel if I were to go that route. I'm still good with the distributor in the front, but the 36-1 wheel for triggering is still tempting.......
                you can do it in steps. You can keep the distributor, but use the 36-1 wheel and position sensor. Once the sensor/trigger setup is working good, then switch over to coilpacks. take a look at what's on Rusty (Chad, got pics??), it's a good and cheap solution. You'll never blow the spark out of some of those 4-tower Pantera coils!
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                  you can do it in steps. You can keep the distributor, but use the 36-1 wheel and position sensor. Once the sensor/trigger setup is working good, then switch over to coilpacks. take a look at what's on Rusty (Chad, got pics??), it's a good and cheap solution. You'll never blow the spark out of some of those 4-tower Pantera coils!
                  I'm not sure I'd ever get rid of my distributor for coil packs... but you never know. I have to keep the distributor for the oil pump anyways. The crank trigger though would be nice to do away with timing chain and distributor slop in the timing. Isn't that how the Studebaker is done?

Comment

The crank trigger though would be nice to do away with timing chain and distributor slop in the timing. Isn't that how the Studebaker is done?
                    Nope, Gary's engine uses the position sensor inside his MSD distributor, which has a VR (magnetic) position sensor inside. No HEI module though, his MS is configured to read directly off the pickup. Eliminating the HEI module is a good idea because those damn things get weird often :-)

Comment

Hmm, I thought there was a crank trigger, but you'd know for sure. Are they using the internal IGTB circuit for the module/dwell control?

Comment

Hmm, I thought there was a crank trigger, but you'd know for sure. Are they using the internal IGTB circuit for the module/dwell control?
                        nope, no crank trigger. And I have him setup to use the default "FIDLE" circuit to trigger his MSD box's "points input" (the white wire). (So, on his MSD-6 box, the purple/green pickup wires are unused)

edit: when you use an MSD's points input, you don't have to control dwell either. Just set up your megasquirt for 50% duty cycle and the MSD will happily trigger off the FIDLE, or IGN circuit, without an ignition transistor.

Comment

Duh! Of course the MSD box! Speaking of which after I get my distributor/timing issues completely resolved and stable I need to get my MSD hooked up.

Comment

Duh! Of course the MSD box! Speaking of which after I get my distributor/timing issues completely resolved and stable I need to get my MSD hooked up.
                            when you do, you might consider simplifying - ditch the HEI module, use the pickup coil in your distributor (or pertronix module) straight into the MS; then use your IGBT output (don't need the IGBT, but can use if you have it already) to feed the points wire on an MSD. IT's simpler than wiring it up to use the HEI module and, more reliable since HEI modules fail, in weird ways, often.

Comment

I think to wire it up that way I will have to switch the jumpers in my MS over to the VR circuirty, won't I?

Comment

Working...
                              X