No announcement yet.

Inline 4/5/6 vortec ingition upgrade...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inline 4/5/6 vortec ingition upgrade...

Well it took a while but I finally have the D585 coils installed on the 4200. This mod will also work on the 2900/3700 4/5 cylinder engines as well.

Geek, I have the GM 7 notch trigger working again.

Re: Inline 4/5/6 vortec ingition upgrade...

awesome!!

so, recap for me - you are using the crank and cam sensors, and running the coils wasted spark? I am not familiar with the trigger wheel on those engines, any info you can provide is helpful!
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

It's 6 equally spaced teeth with one extra notch 10 degrees before one of them.

Comment

Matt's correct 6+1 for ident on the crank. It think the offset is more than 10* though. Running MSextra 2.1 something (James cooked up a version to fix a bug).

The MS2 outputs are driving a 74AC125 quad line driver chip that in turn drives the coils in 3 pairs - wasted drive.

Comment

event spark /waste spark
          what are those coils off of ?
          the stockers have a water problem all the time

Comment

The coils are being driven from a megasquirt running MSextra 2.1 xxx code. The coils are run in waste mode e.g. 1&6 2&5, 3&4 fire as pairs.

Orginally used on 6.0 LS truck motors.

I reused the stock coil lower plug boot and siliconed them onto these coils to help seal them.

Comment

Working...
            X