OPINIONS on FAST's EZ-EFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OPINIONS on FAST's EZ-EFI

I like the IDEA of self tuning,but my question is what do I loose? A few HP here and there across the rev range or major not perfect carb tuned hick-ups and farts?

Also what makes it "self tuning"? Can a,for instance,Mega Sqruirt be programmed to do the same?

I thought I was a carb tuner but 15years away from it and the addition of my LM1 and I can't seem to find my---tune with both hands.

I do need training wheels with FI but if I can put a MS together,no problem with the board I work on Avionics at my day job,wiring is no problem,it's the punching up the tune that worries me.

Are good base lines out there,if I can provide cam info,engine size,bore/stroke/injector flow etc?

Comment

Re: OPINIONS on FAST's EZ-EFI

Originally posted by Cyclone03
      I like the IDEA of self tuning,but my question is what do I loose? A few HP here and there across the rev range or major not perfect carb tuned hick-ups and farts?

Also what makes it "self tuning"? Can a,for instance,Mega Sqruirt be programmed to do the same?

I thought I was a carb tuner but 15years away from it and the addition of my LM1 and I can't seem to find my---tune with both hands.

I do need training wheels with FI but if I can put a MS together,no problem with the board I work on Avionics at my day job,wiring is no problem,it's the punching up the tune that worries me.

Are good base lines out there,if I can provide cam info,engine size,bore/stroke/injector flow etc?

your avionics experience will be *massively* helpful with your EFI learning curve. A good friend of mine who does a lot of the installs on cars I tune, has the same background - working on Navy planes - he taught me a LOT about assembly and testing MS boards.

Anyways, the vast majority of systems out there have "self tuning" ability when attached to a good, functional wideband setup - including Megasquirt. The problem is, once you're into it, you realize that it becomes almost unnecessary as the actual adjustment of fuel tables for correct AFR is very, very easy.

There's even one system out there - domestic, and VERY popular with drag racers - that advertises "self tuning option" but the option doesn't even exist!! Because, "self tuning" is far more important in the marketing phase of your purchase, than one you have it installed. I never met a guy with EFI who had trouble figuring out what the fuel tables needed.

The real issue is, now that you've taken a carburetor and added 1000x more capability, you've added complexity and it can be a challenge to debug issues that will happen during your installation phase. That's where it becomes handy to have a friend or internet contact that's "been there, done that" already.

I have yet to see a "plug & play" EFI system that was truly as easy as the advertisers (and often, the magazine articles) make it look like. It's just the unfortunate nature of the beast.

That being said, your background in electronics is a surefire indicator that you could easily build your own megasquirt.
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
      X