Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with a Stand Alone EFI system on a Jeep EFI 4.0L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience with a Stand Alone EFI system on a Jeep EFI 4.0L?

I figured it would only be a matter of time before I switch my '87 Jeep over to a MegaSquirt. It's currently a Multiport EFI system from the factory. Like how Chad saw significant gains with Rusty going from the OEM computer to the EMSPro, I as wondering if any one has seen or has experience with these Jeep inline six engines with a standalone ECU? If so any place I can get essentially a plug and play or OEM tune for it?

At some point down the road I intend to bolt a supercharger to the engine, so eventually the ECU swap (or rather piggy back for the trans) will happen.

My concern with the OEM setup is two fold. First is the fact there is no "Check Engine" light at all, so how do I know it's running as it should? I'm thinking about dropping a new O2 sensor in it (providing it's a cheap narrow band one) just because I don't know it's age or if it's functional. With a MegaSquirt I can check in on it's readings. The second concern, well more of a thought, is if can I get more mpg's and/or power out of it's current mechanical configuration.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Re: Any experience with a Stand Alone EFI system on a Jeep EFI 4.0L?

I've done a handful of 4.0 and 4.2 engines for the Jeep crowd.

The distributor versions are very easy to do. The coilpack versions wil require a little more wiring work. If you have the distributor version of the engine, add an MSD box and coil and it's no different than your buick.

They are the easiest engines to tune.

I do not know of any pug & play systems, but - since it's already EFI - it'll be really easy just leaving the factory harness in the car, and spiking into the factory ECU connector inside the truck.

It'll be a weekend project for you, since all the hard parts are already in place!

-Scott
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

It's the distributor version. I hadn't thought about using an MSD box for the module, and that I could pretty much use any good coil at that point. I figured tapping into the wiring OEM harness to take advantage of stock relays would work. By plug and play I meant just an msq I could load and get a danged close tune.

Good to know I can get some info from you when I go to swap it in

Comment

painless makes a selfcontained ecu and wiring harness for the 4.0. not sure what years though.
        requires some sensors to be replaced with gm types, but other wise plug and play.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewh
          painless makes a selfcontained ecu and wiring harness for the 4.0. not sure what years though.
          requires some sensors to be replaced with gm types, but other wise plug and play.
          Depends on your terminology. Not if you define plug and play as able to plug into the stock ECU connector, as opposed to rewiring the engine bay. The Painless system is a Delphi MEFI-4.

I think the '88 is a Rennix wheel - the eMS-Pro, MS1/Extra, or MS2 Bowling & Grippo code can work with the stock trigger wheel. Oddly enough, MS2/Extra can't.

Comment

I will probably switch out the sensors for a GM set, or at worse re-calibrate the OE coolant temp. I have to keep the OE ecm for the auto trans control, so it will be piggy backing on the OE ecm and wiring. I don't believe my Jeep has a trigger wheel since it's has a distributor and should be a pick up coil.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
              I will probably switch out the sensors for a GM set, or at worse re-calibrate the OE coolant temp. I have to keep the OE ecm for the auto trans control, so it will be piggy backing on the OE ecm and wiring. I don't believe my Jeep has a trigger wheel since it's has a distributor and should be a pick up coil.
              They made some distributor engines with "shutter wheels" on the flywheel. Double check your service manual. Either way, no big deal, you're going to tap it at the ECU connector and not out under the hood.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Partial subject hijack:

Is taking an existing EFI engine with harness and just ditching the pieces you don't need the easiest way to MSq an engine?
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I don't really plan on ditching any particular parts, maybe the coil and that's it. As DG mentioned I'll be taping in at the ECU. I intend on leaving the stock narrowband O2 in place if I can, at least until I supercharge it. I haven't looked at the wiring diagrams yet, but I plan on leaving all the wires hooked to the stock computer EXCEPT the fuel injectors, fuel pump control and maybe the ignition control. The OE ecm will still control at least the trans, and I'll probably leave the emission stuff unless I find an issue that needs it removed.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                    Partial subject hijack:

Is taking an existing EFI engine with harness and just ditching the pieces you don't need the easiest way to MSq an engine?
                    it depends.

For example, if you're pulling a 5.3 LS engine from the junkyard and you have a harness, then it's cheaper to put together a basic megasquirt and run the engine on it's existing injectors, fuel system, intake etc. than it is to try to convert the engine to a distributor and carb. It *kills* me to see guys doing this and acting like they're keeping things simple!

If you don't have a harness, then it's not too difficult to build your own, or adapt one of the prefabbed megasquirt harnesses available.

If you're converting an engine that was originally carb'd, then all the "BUT IT COSTS A MILLION DOLLARS" guys DO make more sense. It's not cheap. But, for what's available right now in the junkyards, that has potential, interfacing with the OEM EFI parts is the cheapest way to go. Eventually, hotrodders will all have to embrace the ways of EFI if they want to keep doing what they do best... turning junk into cool things.

Comment

Randal, the I6 is a cake walk to tune. They WANT to run smooth, so it's hard to screw one up. Plus, they are very forgiving in the tune department so you will be able to make it happy very quickly, and tune on the road for perfection. And, I'm not suggesting you do this WINK WINK, but DG and I saw one at Westech one day that was turbocharged and making BIG power. It was all trick parts, but it was making like 400hp and 550 tq without getting into the big boost yet. They were very early in the tune.

"A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Do tell more Chadflunky!
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

These guys were doing an article for some 4x4 magazine. It should have been out by now.

When we left they were pushing 500+hp on a SINGLE injector driver on an old broken Gen 7 DFI. THey'd have been able to make another 150-200hp if they had a working engine management system. They were literally running single batch fire on one driver (Ernie, the EFI guy at Westech, is a real crafty guy - I like him a lot!) by convincing the DFI it was running a 3 cylinder and firing the injector twice per cycle or some crazy method like that...

The guy who built the engine said he was planning on selling the stroker longblocks for around $4000. They were a neat group of guys too.

Comment

I at one point wanted to run a turbo Jeep I6 stroker in an early Falcon wagon for Drag Week but that passed when I got deep into the Turbo6 Riviera project. Wouldn't mind finding more about to squirrel away for future info.
                            Central TEXAS Sleeper
                            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Just to kind of jump back in here. I've heard before about pretty good power being worked into these 4.0L. I have a GM 3.8L Supercharger and a spare intake manifold for the 4.0L that some day I'll get around to grafting together ;D I'm not looking to break any records, just something to give it a little more Oomph. After all driving a Big Block Centurion, Big Block Skylark and a Big Block(?) T-bird makes the Jeep feel........well inadequate, haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X