megasquirt ms3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• megasquirt ms3

I have been seeing some info on the new ms3 and that it can run seq. fuel and spark. Does this mean it
    will have the capability to run cop ignition like on an ls motor? If so what would be required to retrofit
    the cop to older engines, say lt1's? I am guessing some type of trigger wheel will be needed but will
    the ms3 make things easier.

Re: megasquirt ms3

Yes. You'd need either a combination of a cam and crank sensor or a cam sensor that has enough resolution to identify the individual cylinders. There's talk of setting up the MS3 so that it could read the Optispark on an LT1 and use that to control a coil on plug setup with no extra sensors, for example. Other things that would work would include LSx or new Hemi sensors, the 36-1 crank trigger and one tooth cam trigger on most Fords, or the Bosch / Electromotive style 60-2 crank trigger with a 1 tooth cam trigger. It could also use something like a dual sync distributor pickup to trigger a COP ignition, but unlike some ECUs, the MS3 gets better spark resolution as you add teeth on the pickup, so 58 crank teeth are better than 8 distributor teeth. At least up to a point; you probably wouldn't want to point your crankshaft position sensor at your flywheel ring gear.

BTW, it is possible with the current MegaSquirts to put a coil per plug ignition on a V8; you just have to fire the coils in pairs. Some coils don't mind this and some do.

Comment

In looking for ignition options for the lt1 I came across a company called efi connection that is producing
      a ls style trigger wheel that mounts in place of the obdII wheel that mounts on the front of the crank and
      has the pickup in the front cover. They also have a 1x cam sensor that mounts in the opti hole. It is a
      good looking setup but kind of expensive. The opti has a somewhat tarnished reputation but if it is only
      being used as a trigger without being exposed to the high voltage would it be deemed "reliable"?

Comment

When is this set to become available? I am admiably nervous about my L67 LC2 hybrid EFI system but am rather stuck on sequential. Would be nice to have a fall back.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I've heard a lot of back and forth arguments on what makes Optisparks fail. It seems to be partly a drainage issue (on earlier models), but I'd imagine that not routing the high voltage through it makes for one less thing to go wrong at least, and could reduce the consequences of stray water in it.

There isn't a set release date; there are several MS3s in beta testing now, but there aren't as many copies of the sequential add on board. I'm thinking it will probably be out sometime this year, and could be as early as the first half.

Comment

Working...
          X