Mass-Flo EFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass-Flo EFI

Anyone using Mass-Flo EFI's setup? I'm buying a Chevy 383 with that setup on it. It will be my first attempt at EFI and I'm kind of excited and nervous at the same time. The unit is just under a year old and supposedly runs great on this motor. Previous owner is switching to an LS-3, otherwise he was perfectly happy with the 383/EFI/700R4 combo that I'm getting from him.

Re: Mass-Flo EFI

Well, the motor's in. Just waiting to pick up the shortened driveshaft and for the radiator to be done. Once that's in, fill with fluids and crank it up! Just one problem, I'm going out of town for a couple weeks for work... it might have to wait until I get home to start it up.

The system seems to be really simple. Uses an 89-93 Mustang computer/sensors. Can't wait to drive it once the snow/salt are off the roads.

Comment

Mike, keep us updated with your experiences with the system ... I'd like to hear how it performs.

cheers
      Ed N.
      Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
      07 Mustang GT with some stuff
      88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed
        Mike, keep us updated with your experiences with the system ... I'd like to hear how it performs.

cheers
        Ed N.
        Will do Ed, figure on late March or early April before I get it fired up...
        Check out the pics in the projects thread http://www.bangshift.com/forum/index.php?topic=19326.0

Comment

Well, after some setbacks/delays I've finally been able to drive it around town some. Still getting used to the car having more power and a new shifter, but the EFI seems to run pretty good. Starts up easy and has smooth acceleration. Engine runs between 185-195*, not sure if that's hot enough to put into a closed loop mode so it can start the "learning" process. I may disconnect one of the fans to make it run a little warmer. I'll have more updates as I drive it more. Doing Route 66 at the end of May, should get a pretty good guage at that point.

Comment

Cool!

can you tell us more about the install experience? I.e. did you have to contact tech support, and how did it go? Or was it literally "bolt it on and drive" ?
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Inquiring minds want to know!! ;D

cheers
              Ed N.
              Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
              07 Mustang GT with some stuff
              88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                Cool!

can you tell us more about the install experience? I.e. did you have to contact tech support, and how did it go? Or was it literally "bolt it on and drive" ?
                I'll start by saying that I bought everything second-hand. Therefore, the unit was already installed on the engine and the harness was attached to it. It was less than 1 yr old and had less than 5k miles on it. (Previous owner wanted to switch to an LS-3) I did contact tech support prior to receiving everything just to get a manual so I'd be prepared. Reading the manual made me less nervous about going electronic. It really is a straight-forward system. The hardest part was trying to figure out where to mount the associated components like the computer and the relay center and how to route the harness.

Once everything was installed, the only issue I had was not related to the unit itself. As soon as I connected the battery, I could here the relays engage and the check engine light was illuminated. Upon further investigation, I found that something was feeding back voltage into the fuse box. Turns out the radio was the culprit. Disconnected the radio and everything was good.

I did make a second call to tech only to find out more about the components they used. Dare I say it, they used Ford components, 89-93 Fox Body Mustang. Should make it easy to get replacement parts if needed on the road.

I have since put about 100 miles on the car (I know it's not a lot, but I've been working out of town) after another incident. Apparently, aftermarket oil pans and Chevelles don't mix! A little wider and deeper at the front than a stock GM pan proves to get in the way of the zerk fitting on the inner tie rods! Makes a nice little round hole in the pan! I guess it's not an uncommon problem...

At the same time, I switched from a turbo 350 to a 700-R4. I'm still getting used to the different mannerisms of both the overdrive and the efi, but it definitely has good start up and driveability for a 10:1 440 hp motor.

With all that said, this really is an easy system. The only things I didn't have to do are set up the idle and timing. Being that it was a running engine and nothing was disturbed, I have left it alone so far. Judging by the directions though, it wouldn't be that hard to do.

I hope this has answered your questions. If you have anymore, feel free to ask.

Comment

Working...
                X