The MegaSquirt explanation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The MegaSquirt explanation thread

I guess I'll throw another newbie question into the ring.
    Is the future MegaSquirt III a replacement for the I and II processors or does it need to be used with one of them? I guess another way to look at it is if I wanted to use the MegaSquirt III processor, when it becomes available, for sequential injection with COP ignition I could use either a V3.0 or 3.57 board, the MegaSquirt III processor, and a sequential injection expansion card, is that correct?
    Thanks for the help.

Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by cuda68
      Is the future MegaSquirt III a replacement for the I and II processors or does it need to be used with one of them? I guess another way to look at it is if I wanted to use the MegaSquirt III processor, when it becomes available, for sequential injection with COP ignition I could use either a V3.0 or 3.57 board, the MegaSquirt III processor, and a sequential injection expansion card, is that correct?
      Thanks for the help.

Patrick
      I'm a noob toMS3, but my understanding is that you have it correct. It's a new processor that can live on the same older circuit boards, with minor mods. THen you add the extra board that has the physical outputs to drive the sequential injection and spark.

Matt will be better at explaining this than I am, as usual!
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
        [I'm a noob toMS3, but my understanding is that you have it correct. It's a new processor that can live on the same older circuit boards, with minor mods. THen you add the extra board that has the physical outputs to drive the sequential injection and spark.

Matt will be better at explaining this than I am, as usual!
        I don't think you could have simplified it much further, sounds fairly straight forward.
        Thanks again for the info.

Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by cuda68
          Thanks for the help.

Patrick
          DG is right - it's a circuit board that plugs into the processor socket, like the MS2. You'd remove the old processor and swap in a new MS3 daughter card and expansion board. It'll also need a new, taller case to clear some of the components.

There was a device talked about caller a router board that was supposed to work as an expansion for the MS2 that would keep the MS2 processor. It was dropped when it turned out to be more complexity and money than it was worth.

Comment

So to run an engine and a transmission you'd need a pair of MSII?
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
              Yes, or an MS2 + a GPIO board.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                Is it possible to put an MS3 and a GPIO board on the same MS2?
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                  Is it possible to put an MS3 and a GPIO board on the same MS2?
                  Well, that would make it an MS3 plus a GPIO as you'd be replacing the MS2's processor. But they can work together. You could also have an MS3 controlling the fuel and an MS2 controlling the transmission. We have to look into the trans control code ourselves... (eyes the leaking TH250 in Jerry's Nova...)

Comment

***Thread decluttered, seperate post started***
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                    X