Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to test injector function on the car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to test injector function on the car?

What is the best way to test for proper injection function on the car?

As posted in some other threads I have been chasing an intermittent dropped cylinder at idle and part throttle. I haven't pushed full throttle under load since the problem appeared as I don't want to detonate that hole and risk hurting the piston or head.

Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Re: How to test injector function on the car?

Not much you can do with it on the car, but you can check its resistance with a multimeter for a burned or shorted coil. After making sure it passes that test, if you apply 12 volts to one terminal and ground the other, it'll click and you can hear it.

Comment

I very recently had the injectors cleaned and d flow checked by RCI, so they are solid, I'm chasing this miss and I think the ignition is solid and it seems to be just one hole (#4) so I'm down to lack of fuel given I see a lean spike on one bank on the AFR meter when its running. This problem appeared without other changes so its been hell to find.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Keep in mind that spark misfires also show up as lean, since you have a lot of uncombined oxygen in the exhaust.

Comment

That is where I started so I've put new plugs, new plug wires, moved around the coil trigger wires so a different set of windings was on the #4 hole to see if the problem traveled to another cylinder. So I'm back to the fuel side. And now I'm also working through the mechanical issues, vacuum leaks etc. When I pulled the manifold I found an oil film everywhere but the port floors where the injector sprays except #4 which was messier than all the rest. Plug showed oil fouling as well which is why I was chasing ignition first as you pointed out.

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill
            That is where I started so I've put new plugs, new plug wires, moved around the coil trigger wires so a different set of windings was on the #4 hole to see if the problem traveled to another cylinder. So I'm back to the fuel side. And now I'm also working through the mechanical issues, vacuum leaks etc. When I pulled the manifold I found an oil film everywhere but the port floors where the injector sprays except #4 which was messier than all the rest. Plug showed oil fouling as well which is why I was chasing ignition first as you pointed out.
            something else to look at, take a datalog of it misfiring just to be sure there's not a new noise problem. Get any tach spikes or dropouts? any 12v spikes that seem to match the misfire? etc.
            -scott
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

And I'm sure you've done the simple diagnostic of swapping the injectors to see if the problem follows.

Comment

Working...
              X