MS1 to MS1-extra plus Pertronix.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS1 to MS1-extra plus Pertronix.

I'm flipping through the megamanual looking for what needs to be modified to control timing with an MS1 (effectively converting it to MS-extra), and am not sure I'm reading it correctly. I've always said the ignition portion of the megasquirt assembly has confused me, so I want reassurance So what are the major changes or is it just wire jumper points? Can the wiring be routed through the DIYautotune relay board? (S1-S5?).

What I'm looking at possibly doing down the road is converting the Thunderbird over to ignition control. I'm hoping to have the MS1 back on it this upcoming weekend for some carb datalogging (or heck may jump right back to the TBI). I'm thinking of using an aftermarket CDI box for spark with the pertronix being the pickup. What type of pick up does the pertronix fall under? Standard VR? Hall? Anyone conviently have the wiring sorted out for it?

Any guidance or links would be appreciated.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Re: MS1 to MS1-extra plus Pertronix.

This isn't too hard to set up. You can pretend it's a points trigger. Exactly what main board do you have?

Comment

Do'h, I forgot to say, I have the 3.0 board.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
        I'm flipping through the megamanual looking for what needs to be modified to control timing with an MS1 (effectively converting it to MS-extra), and am not sure I'm reading it correctly. I've always said the ignition portion of the megasquirt assembly has confused me, so I want reassurance So what are the major changes or is it just wire jumper points? Can the wiring be routed through the DIYautotune relay board? (S1-S5?).

What I'm looking at possibly doing down the road is converting the Thunderbird over to ignition control. I'm hoping to have the MS1 back on it this upcoming weekend for some carb datalogging (or heck may jump right back to the TBI). I'm thinking of using an aftermarket CDI box for spark with the pertronix being the pickup. What type of pick up does the pertronix fall under? Standard VR? Hall? Anyone conviently have the wiring sorted out for it?

Any guidance or links would be appreciated.
        The Pertronix is a hall sensor, and the MS just needs a 12v pullup - simple 1k resistor to 12v right inside - to work with the pertronix. That's what we used in the Maverick, it took a shitload of abuse and made the powertour with zero problems. Otherwise, set the MS up for "Hall Sensor" input.

The spark output is really easy. If you have an ignitor transistor installed in the MS already, run it with that through the regular ignition channel. Otherwise, you can use the FIDLE output too.

MS-Extra will have a lot more options - run it in "MSnS-Extra" mode with the Pertronix and CDI ignition. Trigger angle you want to keep greater than 50 degrees, or less than 10 (I recommend 50+). Spark output "inverted = yes" for CDI ignitions.

That should get you going,
        -Scott
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
          The Pertronix is a hall sensor, and the MS just needs a 12v pullup - simple 1k resistor to 12v right inside - to work with the pertronix.
          I have a pile of 1k resistors, check. I know where the 12v sources are, check. Where am I sending this 12v?

Set the internal jumpers for a Hall Trigger, check. Currently I have the black wire on the neg side of the Coil and the red wire is on the positive side with the OE power wire. So do I run the black wire to the MS's Tach signal? (sounds reasonable...and actually where it's currently hooked to on the coil neg terminal). I'm guessing I'll need 12v on the red wire hooked to key on/crank 12v but no longer hooked to the coil as the coil will now be hooked to the CDI box.

The spark output is really easy. If you have an ignitor transistor installed in the MS already, run it with that through the regular ignition channel. Otherwise, you can use the FIDLE output too.
          I installed the two missing parts :P Is it a setting in the MS-extra firmware that I set the output through? Set the output to pin 36? Are there any special jumpers I need to make for that or will the MS1 chip already know where to send the signal?

Comment

You'd need to install a BIP373 transistor and mod the board for direct coil control. When done, the spark will be on pin 36; without any mods this pin is not connected. I'd start with the points input mod, substituting the Pertronix's black wire for the points. This link covers the settings part.

Comment

he won't NEED the BIP if he's going to run the aforementioned CDI ignition box. But it's nice to have for overkill.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I installed Q16 and R43 (missing in the picture at the top), does that automatically make the ignition output signal go to pin#36?

Bump:
                Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                The Pertronix is a hall sensor, and the MS just needs a 12v pullup - simple 1k resistor to 12v right inside - to work with the pertronix.
                I have a pile of 1k resistors, check. I know where the 12v sources are, check. Where am I sending this 12v?

Comment

physically, yes that's correct. In the MS1-Extra software, you'll select the proper spark outputs so that the software is controlling the correct hardware circuit. that's about it.

Comment

Ok.

Looking at the Link Matt provided. Do I need to jump the R43, get a 330ohm resistor and run it to R26? Looks like the wiring is the same for either the CDI box or Direct Coil triggering. Looks like I don't have R57 installed.

(Looking for reassurance ;D)

Comment

Yes, although you can leave R43 in place or jumper it. Probably better to jumper it.

Comment

So I just googled this question and this thread popped up because I'm having trouble getting a steady tach signal out of the Pertronix, as I've been using the coil negative signal for these last two years. It introduces quite a bit of noise into the system, and when I wired it up for the pertronix I couldn't get a steady rpm at all. It's behaving just like when I went to a hall sensor on the Skylark, the pull up circuit worked like a champ there so tomorrow I'll install one on this car

My junkyard sourced CDI box doesn't work apparently. It can be switched between CDI and Standard ignition, and it works fine in Standard mode but not at all in CDI. So I think I'm going to control the coil directly with the MegaSquirt.

(I obviously never got around to this two years ago!),

Comment

I am 90% certain you need a pullup with the Pertronix module. But make sure you are triggering off the proper edge, you might need to invert the signal in the MS.

Comment

Working...
                          X