36-1 crank wheel dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36-1 crank wheel dimensions

Is there a minimum recommended dia. for crank position wheels? I have a '96-'97 LT1 which came with a
    factory crank sensor in the front cover. I think these came out with OBDII. I believe it is a 4X wheel but I
    would like to replace it with a 36X wheel which seems to be the most universal for building ignition systems.
    The wheel is probably pretty small, in the neighborhood of 2"- 3" in dia. Would this be large enough or would
    the teeth have to be made too small to work? I was just thinking this would be easier than making some
    external setup.

Re: 36-1 crank wheel dimensions

Rule of thumb: Make the gaps between teeth larger than the magnetic core of the sensor you're using.

Comment

I was wanting to use the stock GM sensor, do they have a standard core size? The end is totally encased so I can't see what size the core is.

Are these sensors VR or Hall effect?

Getting some rough measurements with calipers, it looks like it may be a 4" dia. wheel. If my math is correct the teeth
      would be approx. .175 wide. The factory wheel looks to be about .30 thick.

Comment

I made a mandrel with an EDIS wheel on it for my LT1 in Rusty. The crank sensor is from an LS1 and it bolts onto the timing cover with one bolt and a simple 90 degree bracket. Super easy and works mint. But, you would have to design the mandrel or I could yank mine off and send dimensions I suppose. Mine hangs off the front of the crank. Again, super easy if you have access to a machine shop.
        "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

I use that same LS1 sensor with an OEM Ford EDIS 36-1 wheel which is as you say about 4" in diameter. The wheel is a bout 5/16's thick. There are other Ford EDIS wheels that are almost .5" thick which seem to be easier to set up in terms of sensitivity to the gap form the sensor to the wheel.

My setup likes .025" no more no less.
          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
          X