HP Tuners VCM Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP Tuners VCM Suite

Ok, I'm gathering stuff right now for a MS to use on my car. So no worries there Scott, hope to see you in lima in a couple weeks

as far as this tuner is concerned I was thinking about it for the shop. this week a 72 GMC came in to have the transmission rebuilt. It had a corvette ls1 with a 4l60e trans. The motor was freshly rebuilt & cammed but was not tuned at all. after the rebuild on the transmission we had to go back in to try and firm it up as it was showing around a 3 second shift time on the 1-2 at part throttle (although it was OK at WOT showing sub 1 second shift times). The best part throttle we could get was a 2.0 1-2 shift at part throttle, with the 3500 stall it felt pretty sluggish

I was wondering if this would be a good tuner to use to tune the transmission behavior and maybe retune the motor while I was at it.

Then yesterday a very nice 68 camaro was dropped off that also had corvette ls1 in it that was not shifting at WOT, hitting the rev limiter at 7k on the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts, neither one of these are race cars, but nice drivers that need to run good (get a close tune on them, don't need to squeeze out every last HP per say, ie the truck was a frame off with everything including the frame painted chevy orange) and I would like to be able to offer to tune them if needed as it seems like this swap is becoming more and more common. I did get some crappy walk around vids I'll post soon.

Comment

Yes it is great for tuning the transmission, Part throttle and full throttle shift points can be adjusted, along with downshift points. You can also set lockup MPH for the converter in each gear and adjust shift pressures. I think I added 4 or 6 to the shift pressure table and I have nice firm shifts. I'm actually going to lighten it up a little because the shift from 1st to 2nd lays a pretty good scratch, which at the track could cost me some time. Also my Trans has a TransGo HD2 shift kit in it, but they say it doesn't really firm up the shifts. You can also adjust the speed of the shift and make the trans shift faster.

Comment

I have it for my L67 ECM running an LC2 combo and it's worked alright but I'll admit to not messing with it extensively. There is certainly plenty it can do but I've mainly tried to get the car to run (which it did) but oil pressure problems kept it from being in a state I could try to tune it. Forum is decent and I'd definately recommend some sort of at least web based walk through as while most of the functions have explanation blocks, they are small and finding the function you want isn't always in the most "logical" place from my experience. But I did use it to make the engine run without throwing massive error codes for all the emissions, security, and transmission stuff I don't have.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Like Scott (Geek) wrote, its not as easy to do on the fly adjustments 9as with Megatune) and the menu options take time to get use to. I prefer EFI-Live, but I have had HP Tuners, EFI-Live, and Megatune all at the same time. Just don't try using HPTuners with the efi-live cable :D

If you can understand a Microsoft tab format and like the idea of tuning yourself then give it a shot.

One credit = one vehicle pcm tuning lisense.

Comment

Working...
          X