EMSpro install on the Hoser, Bob's DD SVO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMSpro install on the Hoser, Bob's DD SVO

Just a place holder at the moment to help me get motivated to install the EMSpro in the 2.3 turbo SVO. I'd sort of like to get it installed on the expiring "bullet" before I install the new "left over" round.

The big decision, at the moment, is whether or not to gut a Ford EEC IV case and solder the EMSpro leads to the stock Ford connector. That would give me the capability of using the existing wireing harness, a plus if I want to be able to plug back in the stock PE computer.

Or, adapt the existing sensor harness to the EMSpro harness

Or, simply unhook the existing harness and create an entirely separate harness.

Options 1 & 3 let me plug back in the stock stuff if I chose to do so.

Decisions, decisions.

Re: EMSpro install on the Hoser, Bob's DD SVO

There's always option 4; create a jumper pigtail to use the EMSpro connector and the stock harness.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Interesting, hadn't thought of that.

Comment

I think the DIY Autotune guys even have an EECIV jumper pigtail already made up. Even if it's the wrong pin out for the 2.3L, you could use the connectors and repin it.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

PM me a mailing address, I have a Ford EEC adapter harness you can have.
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

So what do you think about building a JimStim as a first assembly project?

Comment

A jimstim was my first assembly project since my sophmore year in highschool.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

To me the more harness connections you have = the greater chance for signal loss and problems. However if its the only option or just for a test status then go for it, just my opinion though.

Comment

I think we are going to sneak up on this dude. Baby steps.

I can tune with the EMS, its just the wiring and debugging that drive me mildly nuts. I'm a bit of a visual learner, if I can see it, I can do it. I can't see the damn electrons running through those wires.

Do I jump in the deep end, or walk down the steps into the shallow end?

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
                    I can tune with the EMS, its just the wiring and debugging that drive me mildly nuts. I'm a bit of a visual learner, if I can see it, I can do it. I can't see the damn electrons running through those wires.
                    I'm an "A" "B" person. Every wire has an "A" end and a "B" end. Sometimes the ends merge with other ends, but really there are only two ends to a wire. Simple Works well in my brain anyways. That is until every wire is Red, or Yellow or Black :D Thank you DIYautotune universal color coded wiring harness!
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Baby steps are the easiest.

Build a jimstim! we need a spare on the EMC team anyways.
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

All right, I'm ordering up the JimStim.

Comment

The thing I learned with MY EMSPRO is to common ground it. I have a Battery cable run up front now from the back of the car for both positive and grond and every connection goes to those and a ground strap out to the head from that same cable in the car ( on mine both heads)
                          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

The one thing I've certainly learned is the importance of proper grounding.

We had a hell of a time getting the starter to work properly on the racecar. Would barely spin to start the engine. We changed starters, went to a 0 gauge cable to the starter (on an 8.5 cr 4-cylinder!) and still had problems.

One day I noticed a puff of smoke when we tried to start the car. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. So I had a buddy push the start button while I lay under the car. I got to watch as a stainless oil line lit up like a Christmas tree as it tried to weld itself to a hard brake line. Even though the car had solid steel engine mounts, the paint was keeping the chassis from serving as a ground.

We now do what you're recommending.

Comment

Don't know how good your eyes are, but having a magnifying lens and a very fine tip on the soldering iron would be nice on a few components. I had neither and doubted a few joints at first. Other wise I had little trouble doing the assembly of any of the MS boards, relays, or stim and I had not soldered for about 20yrs.

Dive in, the water is fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X