A crazy dual TBI idea...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A crazy dual TBI idea...

Posting this in the General Discussion thread got the gears in my mind to turning.

I keep thinking of a 250 inliner for the 47 International, and I'd like to go EFI with it. My original thought was using a computer, wiring harness, TBI, and associated hardware from a 4.3. I'd take the 4.3 dizzy and machine it to fit in the 250 also (or swap the guts if possible...still working that one in my head). After coming across this how-to article in my head, I'm considering modifying the intake manifold like above, but using two K-car TBI's vice the two carbs. I figured I'd post it in this thread to bounce it off other EFI guys and gals to see if its even possible. A few questions come to mind for this:

1. Is it even feasible, or should I stick with the original 4.3 TBI idea?

2. I know the 4.3 TBI contains two fuel injectors, whereas the K-car units use only one. My thinking is to still use the other GM components mentioned earlier, but to run the fuel injector connections to each K-car unit. My question is will the GM computer work with the K-car injectors, or will I have to find a way to put the GM injectors in the K-car TBI's (if it's possible anyway).

3. Will the K-car TPS work with the GM system, or will I have to find a way to attach the GM TPS with the K-car TBI?

This is all I can think of right now. Comments are definitely welcome.

Re: A crazy dual TBI idea...

I'm not an EFI guru, just an EFI dreamer...for now. But, I definitely think that your idea is possible. It may not work with the 4.3 computer, so I would use Megasquirt or something similar. If you want to keep it all GM maybe J-car TBI's would work.

Comment

Definitely doable there are dual carb intakes out there for the 250. A lot of info on inliners.org

Get the entire wire harness out of a '88 to 92 full size chevy van + the ecm. Does not matter what engine is in it. Grab the distributor from a TBI 4.3.

Then get one of these MS adapter boards http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...pcb-p-187.html this allows the GM harness to plug directly into the Ms main board without any wiring.

Use 2 1bbl TBI's off of a 2.5 GM 4 banger. The only wiring will be to run the injector connectors + some excess wire removal.

The full size van harnesses are really good for swaps as they only need 2-3 tie ins to the original harness.

Comment

I'm glad somebody smarter than me finally showed up here. ;)

Comment

Thanks DIY. I'd been looking at Clifford for a dual manifold set-up, and I'd thought about the TBI off the 2.5, but they seem to be a little harder to find. I'd only been looking in S-10s though. I'm going to start looking under the hood of some of GM's older FWD's at the junkyard. Maybe I'll see some there. What makes the van harness so different from, say, a truck harness?

Comment

Any of the GM 2.2L or bigger 1 hole TBI's should be fine to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon
              Thanks DIY. I'd been looking at Clifford for a dual manifold set-up, and I'd thought about the TBI off the 2.5, but they seem to be a little harder to find. I'd only been looking in S-10s though. I'm going to start looking under the hood of some of GM's older FWD's at the junkyard. Maybe I'll see some there. What makes the van harness so different from, say, a truck harness?
              Shouldn't be hard to find a TBI off a 2.5 in the junkyard. GM sold somewhere near a billion FWD cars with the 2.5 in them.

Comment

Working...
              X