Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EFI for a zetec

Originally posted by 116ciHemi
    There are a few things I am more than willing to spend money on. I am sure there are some quality parts from china and junkyards, but if I am going to haul my butt and the car out to b-ville, it's not going to be on unknown parts. New injectors, with a spare in the toolbox. For either induction setup I might go for the JY coilpacks. I can get enough of those cheaply to have a full set of spares over the cost of aftermarket. If I use a non-aftermarket fuel pump, it will be bought from an OEM supplier, not a parts store. Aftermarket regulator is not biggie either. I don't plan on this being a cheap build. I don't want to throw money into it, but if I get out to Bonneville I don't want to be sidelined because I was trying to get by with so-so parts and save a buck. It would waste a lot of money to get there and have something simple break that I cannot replace on the fly.
    For the intake, I was thinking that using a .25" aluminum flange with the 1" long tubes welded onto it for the lower. For the upper intake, either ITBs or an aluminum plenum. I can't think of a reason that I couldn't oxy acetylne weld either of those parts. To mate them, I was thinking silicon sleeves that I can adjust the length of to tune it.
    This would be the main reason to start out using a carburetor, plenum intake, kiss....... IMO
    You can always sell the carbs later, no so easy with custom made efi parts.......

Just more points to ponder from the fat, old, balding guy...... ;)
    There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

/\ valid opinion, except I'm not sure where you'd find a single carb part in wendover at a parts store (one that might go bad anyways). then again, maybe a better chance of finding those parts in the pits?

Meanwhile, if a CLT, IAT, TPS, MAP sensor, or even an injector in his case, goes bad - they carry all that in the wendover parts store.

So far we must have the best luck at bonneville because we haven't broken an EFI-related part there yet. Also, if you add up all the EFI guys that go on drag week - McConnel broke an injector because his rail was putting sideways pressure on it, otherwise we'd be at 100% perfect score! Doing some quick math, just speaking for the *megasquirt* guys (lots of other guys bring other EFI systems on Drag week, I believe most of the class winners have run EFI) - there's well over 10,000 miles and I don't know how many passes, with total EFI reliability.

CDMBill and JeffMcKC, and Huber, all put a lot of street miles on their EFI setups. I don't think they ever break anything except valvetrain parts

but maybe we're just the luckiest folks in the universe, so - i won't argue that something can't break! :o
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

We race in a lot of out of the way places. So I'm a big believer in using as many OEM parts as possible. You got to break before 2:00 pm in Willows or you're shit out of luck anyway!! its 30 minutes into town and the Napa closes at three, but they pretty much won't help you after 2:30.

Everything else needs to be flat bullet proof.

Comment

My thinking is more in line with all the custom items you build. The harness done correctly can cost $500 to $800 IF
          you build it yourself, twice that done buy a pro. The salt will kill many things and a harness not up to snuff will fail. Maybe not this year or next but it will fail. This is just a small point as many things go wrong on the salt due to corrosion and not all of them are related to electronics.
          For my money if I were in Walt's shoes I'd have a carb of some sort, knowing full well he'll have EFI at some point in the future. A carburetor will be one less thing to deal with as you're sorting out the rest of the vehicle.

You'll note my car runs a carburetor as I teach my boys how to drive and sort the chassis, it is being readied for EFI as I type, most likely in 2012.

Walt's budget & crew size will be the determining factor I think
          There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Originally posted by Dynoroom
            Walt's budget & crew size will be the determining factor I think
            In that case, is there a pedal car class?

Comment

Working...
            X