Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really making EFI look like Mechanical

Howdy,

So while sitting in the airport waiting for my flight yesterday I started thinking about how to make an electronic fuel injection system really look like a mechanical setup. Hiding sensors I think can be done if you get creative (i.e. put the TPS in the barrel valve), but hiding the injectors is the big problem I see. This got me thinking along parallel lines of how to hide them. The first idea is Milner351's fault. His rebuild of his 7.3 got me thinking about using the fuel itself as the pressure to open the injector so the injector could be smaller and look more like a mechanical nozzle. The second was putting the injectors themselves at the distroblock and just running a really high fuel pressure and long lead time to flood the hose and spray into the port properly.

Yes it's a daydream but I like this kind of thing, especially bored in an airport or on an airplane.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Really making EFI look like Mechanical

I think your best bet is to find a single plane manifold that you can bung for injectors on the underside. The really great thing is that injectors are getting smaller and smaller. You can get ones that are not more than about an 1 1/2" tall by about a pencil in barrel size.

The problem with remote mounting the injector is that you lose all the benefits of atomization. You'll be able to time the injection and pulsewidth, but the atomized pulse will turn back into a liquid stream, then you'll need to use a mechanical injection nozzle to try to reatomize at the manifold. We had a case like this with the EMC Hemi. We had the injectors placed in a special carrier that screwed into the Hilborn hat or the Hot Heads manifold. Atomization was terrible when we checked it on the UNOH injector tester.

Did it still work, yes, and we made some good numbers. So its really a call on whether the aesthetic is more important than the function. If you're not trying to get the last bit of power, then the remote maybe a viable solution, you'll just need to science out the mechanical nozzles. We work with Gene Adams, the former shop foreman for Hilborn, I may see him later this month and I can ask him about the issue.

Bob

Comment

Largely a thought question at this point but the idea is to make an engine look totally retro with mechanical FI but have EFI calling the shots so it'd be street drivable. The engine I'm particularly imagining this on is a Mercedes 6.0L V12 with an early centrifugal supercharger on it.
      I'd actually want to completely eliminate the atomizing sections of the injectors and just let pressurized fuel into the lines so the Mech FI nozzles could take over for the atomization part. However with something that's down near pencil sized, I bet you could hide that in the overall Hilborn style nozzle fitting and still run individual stacks.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

you second idea sounds like the stock set up of the vortec engine witht he god awful injection spider

Comment

I talked to Danny Miller today about the nozzles used on MFI. He thinks they'll work. I asked him what pressure they usually use, he stated 65-70psi.

I think you can make this work, we certainly did something like it last year.

Comment

Working...
          X