Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas, on fuel line size and returns ????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas, on fuel line size and returns ????????

Hello,
    My project 71-c10 has the bed off. to install the blazer tank, and get the factory pick up incab tank gone..
    while I have this apart.. what sized lines should I add to this 70-72 blazer tank.. if I'm to go efi down the line.
    tank is new so I can add fuel feeds anywhere , it tank pump would be ideal but not in the cards..
    so,when and if I try efi it will be an external pump..
    the engine is a 350 now,, with either a hot 355 (500hp) or a 496 (hotter still)
    I'm thinking a 1/2 feed with same return use'n the blazer tank return spot (top and to the side of tank) with a bigger inlet (stock looks like 3/8th)
    and soldering in a 1/2 feed where the stocker 3/8th" line runs in the sending unit..
    or leave that alone and add another fuel feed to the tank.. and use the stock feed for the n.o.s. fuel feed..

if I can't fit another feed beside the stock line. where would be best to add the 2nd bigger fuel feed on the tank..
    i'd like to do this once, and have it set up to work with all engines listed and carb and efi
    the blazer fill is on the drivers side near the top..
    that more than likely will be moved to the top rear so I can add a 80's g body filler neck and hide it behind the bumper plate..
    tank will be vented to a charcoal can.. with a non vented cab(at least thats the plan) so I won't have the 70's full spilling out the back of the truck..

yes a fancy efi tank would be nice.. (300.oo+) but I have this tank and I'd like to use it..
    as I don't have the 300-500+ clams for a nice SS efi pump in tank ...

IDEAS Welcome...
    thanks

Re: Ideas, on fuel line size and returns ????????

THE TANK IN QUESTION

and it in a truck frame

Comment

Aeromotives site has a lot of good info.

As long as you stay with gas, 1/2 should be fine, for both supply and return.

Just make sure to mount the pump lower than the tank, or use check valves in the system in order to keep the pump primed.

Comment

1/2 inch will go a long way on EFI I would just use the 3/8 drilled out it most of the time is baffled for the fuel on EFI you will need it to stay at the tube
        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Though my car came OEM with 3/8th fuel line from the tank, the pump I'm using has 5/16th inlet/outlets. And so far at ~5000+rpm in fourth gear WOT I was still able to pull a 9.5:1 AFR (yeah I took fuel out of the VE table before the next run).

I have no proof, but figuring 450HP'ish ??? I think there is still enough room to make 500HP and supply adequate fuel.

I'm using a stock Ford pump.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

We did not use it but Docs engine from Sonny's came with a Ford Pump to power 875 HP It was a quick choice to up it to a A1000
            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

3/8 line for supply and return will suffice just fine. when hooking your return up all you have to do on the tank side is make sure the returning fuel wont be dumping over your pickup. (remember there is no pressure on the return side just velocity)

Comment

Did you know that a GM EFI pickup/pump will mate to that tank with no changes.....

Like to know what year/model the tank came out of. And also width, length & height please...

Comment

One of my cars is factory EFI & is approx 450hp at the motor. My car from factory has an in-tank pump which I upgraded to a 500hp Walbro pump. The fuel lines are still factory 3/8" & it made peak power at 6800rpm so obviously 3/8" (or -6AN) is good enough for that power level. If going the bigblock route & over 500/550hp i'd go to 1/2" or -8AN lines.
                  One way is to add a pickup off the side close to the bottom of the tank so it minimises the risk of fuel starvation to the pump. Run an external such as an Aeromotive or the likes but as already mentioned, keep it level or fractionally lower then the tank & just use the original pickup/delivery tube as the return. Also as mentioned, keep the new pickup away from the return as it will airate the fuel when dumping back in.
                  The best way is to fit a surge tank... use the original pickup & fit a conventional electric pump such as Holley Blue. Use it to feed the surge tank then run an EFI pump from that to your engine. The surge tank will also take the return line, that way you dont have to touch the original tank at all.
                  The 1st way that I mentioned can still suffer from starvation due to fuel surge if you run the tank low. The external surge tank method is a failsafe way to ensure uninterrupted fuel delivery for EFI.
                  Hope this is of some help.
                  Last edited by BigInchTT; June 25, 2011, 06:18 AM. Reason: Left out some information.

Comment

Working...
                  X