Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running COPS off of EDIS-8 - MSII dwell settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running COPS off of EDIS-8 - MSII dwell settings?

I've run the MSII with my blower engine before and it ran great right up to 5K. I have made a few "upgrades", but now have tuning issues at higher RPM and boost conditions. One of the things that has changed is the ignition. I was runnig the EDIS-8 w/ coil packs and it ran great. Now I'm running COPS w/ the EDIS-8 module and things seem to fall apart around 3K. Thing is I also had built a new box and have the newer software and firmware (the other box and software it ran great on was about 5 years old). So it could very well be a tunig issue, but seems like no matter what is going on with the fuel, it misfires and blows black smoke like the ignition is breaking down. If it stay out of boost, and cruise easy, everything is fine.

So I'm wondering, by switching over to COPS, do I need to adjust my dwell settings from when I was running coil packs?
    Last edited by Arrowhead; August 2, 2011, 07:50 AM.
    http://sites.google.com/site/arrowheadshotrodsite/

Originally posted by Arrowhead View Post
    I've run the MSII with my blower engine before and it ran great right up to 5K. I have made a few "upgrades", but now have tuning issues at higher RPM and boost conditions. One of the things that has changed is the ignition. I was runnig the EDIS-8 w/ coil packs and it ran great. Now I'm running COPS w/ the EDIS-8 module and things seem to fall apart around 3K. Thing is I also had built a new box and have the newer software and firmware (the other box and software it ran great on was about 5 years old). So it could very well be a tunig issue, but seems like no matter what is going on with the fuel, it misfires and blows black smoke like the ignition is breaking down. If it stay out of boost, and cruise easy, everything is fine.

So I'm wondering, by switching over to COPS, do I need to adjust my dwell settings from when I was running coil packs?
    If you're running an EDIS module, your dwell settings in the MS won't do anything - the module controls dwell. What does a datalog of the misfire look like? I'm guessing you have tach spikes or dropouts. Usually due to grounding problem (sharing noisy grounds with the electronics). Since the MS gets it's RPM signal from the EDIS module, it's likely that the EDIS module isn't happy. CHeck that you have the VR wires polarity correct, going into the EDIS module...
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I've run a few data logs and I don't see anything that indicates the miss fires. I was thinking it's a VE table issue, but now I'm not so sure and that's why I'm wondering about ignition (I'll have to do som dismantling to to check the VR wires). It seems like it hits a ceiling around 3K RPM. I also notice some engine codes show up but don't know what some of them mean (33?). Here are a couple of data logs if you want to take a look, one when it was hot and one when it was cold. These were both done on the road under load, but it does the same thing just trying to rev the engine, it brakes up and blows black smoke around 3K.

Thanks for any input.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowhead View Post
        I've run a few data logs and I don't see anything that indicates the miss fires. I was thinking it's a VE table issue, but now I'm not so sure and that's why I'm wondering about ignition (I'll have to do som dismantling to to check the VR wires). It seems like it hits a ceiling around 3K RPM. I also notice some engine codes show up but don't know what some of them mean (33?). Here are a couple of data logs if you want to take a look, one when it was hot and one when it was cold. These were both done on the road under load, but it does the same thing just trying to rev the engine, it brakes up and blows black smoke around 3K.

Thanks for any input.
        I looked at the Hot Engine log. You have a nice, super clean tach signal. Battery voltage isn't bouncing around much. Hearing you describe the problem, makes me wonder what the timing is doing when it misfires.

Disconnect the SAW wire to your EDIS module, so it should be locked at 10 degrees total. Then, with a timing light on the marks, slowly rev the engine up and see if the timing is staying locked at 10 degrees, or if it's retarding slowly (which usually means the VR wires are inverted to the EDIS module). I am most curious to see what it does when the engine starts to misfire - does the timing bounce all over, or stay steady at some retarded number.

Either way, I think it's safe to say the problem is somewhere with the EDIS module and/or the COPs.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, this is great info. I'll check into it. I was also thinking of temporary wiring the coil packs back on just to see if it's an ignition (COP) problem or something else.

Either way, it feels and sounds like an ignition issue and not a tuning or mechanical problem like I originally thought, but who knows?
          Last edited by Arrowhead; August 3, 2011, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Just a small update. I went through the iginition setting again and found one of them was wrong for a EDIS. I corrected that and did some more road tests, it was definatly better but still breaking up. It was dark and there were flames comming out the pass side exhaust around 3k with a heavy pedal. Still might be ignition, but could be a mechanical problem too I guess. Going to check the plugs next.

Comment

Working...
            X