msII cable(tuning and newer laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• msII cable(tuning and newer laptops

question as most laptops today don't have a serial port anymore and there seems to be some issues with the serial port to ubs adapters..

has anyone tried to install one of these into the msII case

it a desktop ubs buss card.. I''d think if you could find the pin out for the socket you could install on of these and do away with the serial port adapter.. and these buss cards are cheap..
    anyone see roadblocks in this ? and is there enough room to install it in the case..

Use the MS iii ? Built in USB.

Manuals for Megasquirt-3 (MS3) ECUs (1.5.x firmware) The manuals are split into three main sections : 1. Setting Up, 2. Hardware and 3. TunerStudio Reference. Manuals are available to download as PDFs or to view online page by page in your web-browser. 1. Setting Up This manual contains a QuickStart… Continue reading

symtech labs has an adapter

I think the trick there is getting the baud rate / parity stuff set up correctly. There's nothing specifically magic about USB except you probably need to slow it down. Serial I/O is not all that difficult, if it horks, slow it down.

If you are gonna go to a lot of extra trouble installing junk, go for BlueTooth!
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

msIII is 550.00

Comment

Been done, $31 right from DIYautotune.com http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/d...ter-p-141.html

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

thanks, I must of misted that

Comment

20.00 cable should get you there if you have your settings right... just sayin. They list it on the same page above.

Unless you want firewire (picture at top is firewire).
            Last edited by Beagle; November 7, 2011, 11:10 AM.

Comment

USB-Serial cables work fine if you minimize or eliminate the buffers in the driver. I never had one that misbehaved, that wasn't fixed after I changed that setting.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                USB-Serial cables work fine if you minimize or eliminate the buffers in the driver. I never had one that misbehaved, that wasn't fixed after I changed that setting.
                ok and how do you rework the buffers

Comment

Make settings changes per the first link on the replies... or for MSii,

or search the docs for USB...

Megasquirt EFI fuel injection and ignition control. Product information, support forums, documentation and downloads for Megasquirt and Microsquirt ECU. Official site for MS1/Extra, MS2/Extra and Megasquirt-3.

I wasn't really teasing though - has anybody done a bluetooth connection for these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	dongle.png
Views:	1
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	858387

Hardwired seems so... secure. Why not put it out there where somebody in the pits can royally jack your tune ? That would be funny as hell, half track, and some 12 year old rev limits you to 2800 rpm. HHAHHAHAHA... omg. Do it. I dare ya. I double dog dare ya!

/edit - spoonful.

Mark, please open any of the links and read through them. There is detail on your questions in both the MSEXTRA doc pages and on the adapter link in my first reply.

The settings that 'Geek mentions won't show up as options if the drivers aren't installed. The drivers are available on the symtechlabs converter page I sent - you can install them without the hardware and take a look at the settings. The documentation shows you the screenprints for buffer settings.

To my way of thinking, you are using flow control as another way to "slow it down" - let's not overwhelm the little computer with giant horking mounds of 1's and 0's from the big computer when it's still chewing on the last spoonful and not ready to eat another yet. That's probably not entirely accurate, but that is the way I conceptualize it. Particular the part right after your i/o goes wrong and something pukes.

It don't cost nuthin, and you can remove the drivers easily. They should not cause any problems being there unused, however.
                  Last edited by Beagle; November 8, 2011, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    Make settings changes per the first link on the replies... or for MSii,

or search the docs for USB...

Megasquirt EFI fuel injection and ignition control. Product information, support forums, documentation and downloads for Megasquirt and Microsquirt ECU. Official site for MS1/Extra, MS2/Extra and Megasquirt-3.

I wasn't really teasing though - has anybody done a bluetooth connection for these?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6124[/ATTACH]

Hardwired seems so... secure. Why not put it out there where somebody in the pits can royally jack your tune ? That would be funny as hell, half track, and some 12 year old rev limits you to 2800 rpm. HHAHHAHAHA... omg. Do it. I dare ya. I double dog dare ya!

/edit - spoonful.

Mark, please open any of the links and read through them. There is detail on your questions in both the MSEXTRA doc pages and on the adapter link in my first reply.

The settings that 'Geek mentions won't show up as options if the drivers aren't installed. The drivers are available on the symtechlabs converter page I sent - you can install them without the hardware and take a look at the settings. The documentation shows you the screenprints for buffer settings.

To my way of thinking, you are using flow control as another way to "slow it down" - let's not overwhelm the little computer with giant horking mounds of 1's and 0's from the big computer when it's still chewing on the last spoonful and not ready to eat another yet. That's probably not entirely accurate, but that is the way I conceptualize it. Particular the part right after your i/o goes wrong and something pukes.

It don't cost nuthin, and you can remove the drivers easily. They should not cause any problems being there unused, however.

Beagle is all over it. We HAVE tuned wirelessly. Andy Whittle, (forum user "whittlebeast) once set me up with a long range wireless serial setup with a small antenna in the car and a large semi-directional antenna on a camera tripod in the pits. At Gateway (St. Louis drag strip) I was able to datalog and tune huber from across the entire facility. I didn't dare screw around with the tune during his pass but I ran the logging and it worked perfectly. I haven't played with the shorter range Bluetooth adapters but it should work just fine.

Stich - when you purchase the USB adapter, install it's drivers. Recommended to go to the mfgr website and install the most current drivers versus what's on the CD in the box. Once they're installed per the instructions, you can go into Device Manager (either through Control Panel or Right Clicking on My Computer icon). Once inside Device Manager select "Ports: Com and LPT" and you will see an entry for your USB serial port #. Double clicking on that opens up the Properties dialog, from there go to "Advanced" options and you will see the adjustments for the buffer size (some let you disable buffering altogether). Make the change to small or zero buffering, then save it. That will solve the majority of your USB-serial adapter problems.
                    Last edited by dieselgeek; November 8, 2011, 07:18 AM.
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I like the idea of wireless/bluetooth, if for nothing else, it'd make people go WTH!?!?
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                        I like the idea of wireless/bluetooth, if for nothing else, it'd make people go WTH!?!? you got an app for that
                        fixed it for ya

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                          Beagle is all over it. We HAVE tuned wirelessly. Andy Whittle, (forum user "whittlebeast) once set me up with a long range wireless serial setup with a small antenna in the car and a large semi-directional antenna on a camera tripod in the pits. At Gateway (St. Louis drag strip) I was able to datalog and tune huber from across the entire facility. I didn't dare screw around with the tune during his pass but I ran the logging and it worked perfectly. I haven't played with the shorter range Bluetooth adapters but it should work just fine.

Stich - when you purchase the USB adapter, install it's drivers. Recommended to go to the mfgr website and install the most current drivers versus what's on the CD in the box. Once they're installed per the instructions, you can go into Device Manager (either through Control Panel or Right Clicking on My Computer icon). Once inside Device Manager select "Ports: Com and LPT" and you will see an entry for your USB serial port #. Double clicking on that opens up the Properties dialog, from there go to "Advanced" options and you will see the adjustments for the buffer size (some let you disable buffering altogether). Make the change to small or zero buffering, then save it. That will solve the majority of your USB-serial adapter problems.
                          thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X