Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a caveman do DIY EFI? Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10-14 sticks in my mind for GM (and Ford?) TBI - I used an external, I think it came from a Camaro TBI pump on my F150 when I pulled the EFI for a carb test.

86 was the first year for MPFI - 83 was the first for CFI iirc. I don't remember if they used in tank pumps on the CFI or not. The 88lph stock pump is marginal over 300 whp at ~40psi? The CFI pumps should be everywhere in early-mid 80's cougar/t-birds if you can find any of those? Rockauto would probably say whether they are in tank or not. I'd be worried it didn't have enough volume for an engine twice the size of what the donor's was.

On the forum deal - been hosed by that several times. It SUCKS - There are some characters that waste your post if they are cut and pasted from another source. I think apostrophes and quotation marks and unprintable characters are some of them, depending on where you got your text from. Whenever I'm typing up a book with a lot of quotes or text from somwhere else in it, I paste it into notepad and cut it again, then paste it in here. Bruab blew up the blog one time with some special character, the software is somewhat unforgiving about that.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
      On the forum deal - been hosed by that several times. It SUCKS - There are some characters that waste your post if they are cut and pasted from another source. I think apostrophes and quotation marks and unprintable characters are some of them, depending on where you got your text from. Whenever I'm typing up a book with a lot of quotes or text from somwhere else in it, I paste it into notepad and cut it again, then paste it in here. Bruab blew up the blog one time with some special character, the software is somewhat unforgiving about that.
      I was just going to say the same thing on the Character problem, basically avoid copy - paste of quote characters.

Comment

• Stiney - the market is full of modified high flow pumps for Fox mustangs running EFI - surely one of them would be adequate to feed the hungry cadillac. 3/8" line is adequate to some pretty high power levels too, not sure I'd put the $$ into big AN lines at this point.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• I'm still feeding my Buick through 3/8th fuel line and a 5/16th diameter ford fuel pump.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• I'm going to look at modifying the new tank outlet for the falcon to 3/8" before I install it, with that done, there shouldn't be any forseeable bottle necks in the system even for E85.

Comment

• John, from what I'm reading, you might want to modify for a 3/8" return while you are at it. That's what I'm considering.

Seems the electric pumps last a lot longer if the return is completely unrestricted, a good return can even eliminate the need for a electric pump controller (which JeffMc here on BS says the controllers are unreliable)

Randall, what do you use for a regulator? I know on the T-Bird the TBI has its own built in regulator, but what does the Buick have?
              Last edited by STINEY; March 21, 2012, 11:35 AM. Reason: Faulty memory - oops!
              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• T-bird has the TBI =P Both the Skylark and the Thunderbird are 3/8th feed from the tank (stock lines) and 5/16th return, both to the surge tank and from the surge tank back to the gas tank. I run an Aeromotive vac/boost referenced regulator from summit. I got the one with the NPT fittings instead of AN because I have NPT fittings available locally.

Comment

• Boost referenced eh? Thinking of something pressurized in the future?

Comment

• Falcon has a vent into the top of the tank, could use that for return, and a vented cap, or drill and weld in another return (might as well do any of this before the tank has ever had fuel in it)

Comment

• Lots easier now than trying to evacuate fumes later......... that's my thinking. After all, my tank has been sitting empty in the backseat of the mustang for at least 4 years that I can personally account for. And it left no odor when I put it in there - welding time!

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                        Boost referenced eh? Thinking of something pressurized in the future?
                        It's just a standard thing with EFI regulators, if they are vacuum referenced, then they pretty much are boost referece. I can drive over my crankshaft N/A with a few select upgrades.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          Falcon has a vent into the top of the tank, could use that for return, and a vented cap, or drill and weld in another return (might as well do any of this before the tank has ever had fuel in it)
                          Be careful using stock vent ports. Though the hoses are 1/4"-5/16" from what I've heard there is sometimes a restrictor in the lines making it just a small orfice hole to vent air and minimize fluid passing through.

I used the DIYautotune.com method on my Skylark and have been meaning to re-do the T-birds to use the same method.

Comment

• Bulkhead fitting sealed with an O-ring?

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                              Boost referenced eh? Thinking of something pressurized in the future?
                              For an MPI system you should run a vacuum referenced regulator. It makes sure that the pressure differential at the tip of the injectors is always the same. So if you are pulling 20" of vacuum at low throttle/load, the regulator will take the fuel pressure down 20" - so you always get the target ~40psi difference between fuel pressure and manifold pressure.
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                                Bulkhead fitting sealed with an O-ring?
                                Nope, just locktite and a pile of torque to make sure it didn't come apart. I may of used a gas resistant RTV too, it's been a few years =P
                                Last edited by TheSilverBuick; March 21, 2012, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X