Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a caveman do DIY EFI? Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hear it's like smoking crack
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
      That answers another question for me. This unit looks like it may have been weeping around the gaskets in a couple of places, I was wondering about rebuilding them. $27 sounds good. I like pictures.
      I may have a "rebuild" kit in the basement that will work for your's. It turns out the Holley TBI I have does NOT use the stock gaskets and such. I can probably mail what I have to you if I still have it. I'll try to remember to look when I get home.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
        Once you get the fuel right, there will be a natural tug making you want control of ignition, then it snowballs from there. By the time you come up for air, you'll be running sequential MPFI and individual coilpacks and wanting more. It's the natural progression when you get started with DIY EFI.
        I INSIST on getting a set of 4-6-8 rockers on it and letting the MS control going between 4 and 8 cylinders

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
          That answers another question for me. This unit looks like it may have been weeping around the gaskets in a couple of places, I was wondering about rebuilding them. $27 sounds good. I like pictures.
          Okay, I'll get some in a little bit and post it here. I didn't take any while I was doing it though, but it was easy. I did it at the kitchen table while I was having a beer.
          Originally posted by TC
          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            DOn't hit the crackpipe just yet - I'm really enjoying the carb-meets-O2 sensor posts on your facebook.

If I ever get my financial situation straightened out (post Divorce) I may start with something carbureted. They're pretty interesting to me.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
              I INSIST on getting a set of 4-6-8 rockers on it and letting the MS control going between 4 and 8 cylinders
              YOU MUST DO THIS. Or does Stiney have what he needs to pull it off?
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

DOn't hit the crackpipe just yet - I'm really enjoying the carb-meets-O2 sensor posts on your facebook.

If I ever get my financial situation straightened out (post Divorce) I may start with something carbureted. They're pretty interesting to me.
                Nice to know he isn't afraid of "wiring"

(it's got my interest too)
                Last edited by TheSilverBuick; December 29, 2011, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldMachinist View Post
                  Here comes the first hijack, hope you don't mind. What are the dimensions of the HHR fan shroud? And the picture looks like dual fans is that correct? Thanks.

Don't mind in the least. I can get the dimensions tonight.......I got the idea from BBR on this site, he posted about it while building the Big Block Ranger, maybe the info is still here?

Here's a link to one of his threads. http://bangshift.com/forum/showthrea...light=RADIATOR
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Once you get the fuel right, there will be a natural tug making you want control of ignition, then it snowballs from there. By the time you come up for air, you'll be running sequential MPFI and individual coilpacks and wanting more. It's the natural progression when you get started with DIY EFI.
                    I believe that. If leaving well enough alone was in the equation, well, we'd all still be riding horses everywhere right?

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    This whole hobby is my crack-pipe. Good thing its my only vice!

I may have a "rebuild" kit in the basement that will work for your's. It turns out the Holley TBI I have does NOT use the stock gaskets and such. I can probably mail what I have to you if I still have it. I'll try to remember to look when I get home.
                    That would be awesome! I have some cool rocks....maybe we can trade?

I have no problem with that, eventually. Unfortunately I passed over a 368 with that setup years ago, and haven't seen one locally since. There was a guy on the old cadillac forum that had a set of those on his 500 in a Fiero, seems he got them to work somehow on a carburated setup. He disappeared from the site shortly afterwards? Always wondered what became of it/him?

YOU MUST DO THIS. Or does Stiney have what he needs to pull it off?
                    Don't have the stuff, but I will not pass that setup over a second time!

Comment

the giant injection cfm on a carb draft cam?

what magic are you going to work for that?

that is why carbs have small barrels up front..slow tight draft trease into big. Injection has controls elsewhere..cams stay fat.

I want to play this game on a little boxer..funny to learn the Injection cam can go carb, but goes slob if to try carb cam on injection.

..I also have the thottle body route, it may make up for it (singular source for fuel).
                      this will be interesting to follow.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 29, 2011, 01:13 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post

that is why carbs have small barrels up front..slow tight draft trease into big. Injection has controls elsewhere..cams stay fat.

I want to play this game on a little boxer..funny to learn the Injection cam can go carb, but goes slob if to try carb cam on injection.

..I also have the thottle body route, it may make up for it (singular source for fuel).
                        The belief that you need an "Injection Cam" for EFI is bogus. Especially when using a TBI which will do the exact same thing as a carburetor. This setup will work fine and having a carb cam won't make a difference. However, TBIs don't like aggressive, high overlap cams so I'm glad you brought it up: Stiney, plan on going MPI before you go nuts with the cam.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post

I figure the lack of venturies negates a bunch of issues. The smaller holes were to keep airspeed up for a proper vacuum signal at the venturi - with no venturies to worry about I'm not worried much about the cam. Factory cadillac cams had quite possibly the weirdest specs anyways, there is a lot to be had in that area too. I'll keep it simple for now and leave the factory cam alone so I'm not chasing multiple wild geese.

Diesel..... wild cam = MPI, check. I do have another engine with rather interesting heads and a way-to-big cam, but that is for another day.
                          Last edited by STINEY; December 29, 2011, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Interestingly enough, this could be normal, but it amazes me the amount of fuel puddled on the throttle blades of the TBI on my T-bird when idling. The fuel is literally spraying at a closed valve and blubbling through the small opening made by the idle screw adjustment. I tried leaning it out but it didn't like that, and it is idling at a 14-something AFR. Just kind of interesting to watch.

Comment

Yes it is intresting about the volume, but mine was dripping like a leaky faucet. I think those little filters were clogged.
                              Originally posted by TC
                              also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
                                Yes it is intresting about the volume, but mine was dripping like a leaky faucet. I think those little filters were clogged.
                                I've seen what Randal talks about, TBIs are mindboggling in how they idle... finely atomized fuel spraying directly into a... throttle plate?

I later learned, it's the small pocket of low pressure air just beneath the throttles that will allow even a large droplet of fuel to expand into a well-atomized intake charge...

looking closely at the MSD "Atomic EFI" you can see they are using the same theme (as a carburetor) where a venturi creates a low pressure pocket, and they spray the injected fuel directly into that pocket. Coincidentally, their injectors seem to have a 90-degree orifice (fuel sprays 90 degres in relation to the injector body) - the only other place I have seen those types of nozzles is on the new ZR-1 engines, they have 90 degree orifices. The injectors mount in the intake almost horizontally, but still spray parallel to the vertical, incoming air charge. They are not happy creatures when you upgrade the injectors with bigger units that do not have the 90 degree tips...

Comment

Working...
                                X