Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a caveman do DIY EFI? Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have to go look to be sure, but I think S5 is the relay board output wire to the MSD box or negative side of the coil if you connect it directly. Look up where Pin#36 comes out on the relay board to confirm.

To further confuse things, you could be like Randal and use the VR input to read the square wave of the HEI module, it also requires a couple special turns of the potentiometers but isn't difficult.
    I tried this (from the megamanual...) and never got it to work that way, so I just plugged it directly into the pickup coil like in the picture I posted above. Now my VR circuit reads the square wave of the Hall sensor on the crankshaft.
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; April 26, 2012, 08:42 AM.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Number 36 to S5, just checked it in the MegaManual, correct. This is the output for coil/MSD control.

Now to figure out the pigtail wiring for the TPS, Injectors, and IAC (my IAC is the flat 4 configuration).

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...startup001.mp4

1st time doing digital video..... not quite there yet.... forum won't recognize photobucket video? Weird...

Got it. Had to sign up and upload to youtube aka google.

Sorry Scott.....this is still on the IV drip.....just wanted to make sure the engine was sound before adding a bunch of EFI stuff to it. Pulled from a yunkyard car about 5 years ago, lots of good indicators going for it, but this is the first time it has made noise.
        Last edited by STINEY; June 13, 2012, 10:50 AM. Reason: video not as easy as led to believe

Comment

• Looks like a first startup pic?!?
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

• Good idea to know that the engine is going to run before converting it to EFI. It'd suck if it had a rod knock and for that rod knock to get blamed on the EFI, etc. I made sure my engine was solid by driving it ~6,000-8,000 miles on the Q-jet and 4-pin HEI before switching to EFI.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• It's alive!
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Your plan was a good one Randall........... but there is no way this turd gets 6-8,000 miles first. I barely put that many on my daily-driver in a year! lol

Even 6 - 8 miles would be pushing it - how about 6-8 minutes? ALready got that one covered!

So, my 454 TBI rebuild kit came in so last night I sat down on the couch and rebuilt it. See that weird almost T-shaped phenolic block thing? The factory gaskets were so well glued to that you almost could not tell where gasket stopped and block started.

An hour of carefull scraping later and all the parts were ready to really clean.

There is not much to rebuilding these really. Some orings, few gaskets, and 2 large screens and 2 tiny screens, clean and reassemble. Here is the injector pod part, the injectors seal against the upper and lower orings.

Here you can see the large screen on the lower part of the injector, and the tiny one on the side. Yep, its 1/8" diameter and snaps in.

Here are the new screen filters.

Anyways, its all clean and back together so one more piece of the puzzle is done.

Comment

• Progress is good!
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Pulled out more parts last night. Bought a TBI adapter from evil-bay.........found out it has the wrong manifold side pattern for the stock intake.

No problem, I have drill bits. First time the new pattern was too far forwards, and the TBI hit the right rear stud. So drilled a new pattern slightly rearwards of the first, and we are good.

Adapter mounted. Yeah, its nylon. Not sure how it will hold up, it is nice that it is an inch tall. Helps with flow on the stock intake AND gives the throttle blades plenty of clearance.

The original "webbing" in the stock intake is causing a huge obstruction here. No worries....... I have an early non-EGR intakethat I hogged out the center from, plus the Edelbrock and MTS intakes too. For now I just want to get this turd running.

Thought I was done for the night, and needed something to cover the TBI. Oh look! There is something in that boat right there that will fit! What do you think Milner?

Kids crashed out early, no chess with the 7-year old tonight. So I went back out and, inspired by SBG, dug through my boxes of acquired used goodies.

Comment

• Hey Stiney - First off, thanks for the scan of the DNE2 manuals. Second, did you install the DNE2 on a different thread? I inherited my Father's 1968 GMC and it has one, but none of the wiring is there, just the relay on the firewall, everything else is missing, so if you have installed it, did you have the wiring or did you have to create the harness?

Comment

• You are welcome MTWayne.

It is still uninstalled, I am sorry to say. This is the "other" build thread of the Mustang. I'll be glad to help you any way I can, just ask away. Feel free to post on these threads with your DNE2 questions if you want, might keep the DNE2 stuff in one place....

k8yhuqZ.jpg i0uH8e2.jpg This is the swaybar mount that lines up with where the 500 motor mounts need to be. DycGSvD.jpg You'll need a factory rear sump Eldorado pan or modify a more common front/mid sump pan. Here are several pans. Left to right - factory front sump converted to rear sump, factory eldorado rear sump,
                        Last edited by STINEY; September 20, 2012, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• Stiney,
                          Thanks, I was just wondering because I have one of these Doug Nash units in my truck, but there is no wiring, I do however still have the terminal that bolts onto the firewall, but nothing else. Does yours have the harness?

Comment

• Hmmm...... I don't exactly have the harness.

I do have the in-cab controller. The little electronic dohickey that mounts on the shifter stalk or dashboard. If you have the terminal on the firewall, maybe between the 2 of us we can figure this beast out.

Any chance you can get a real good picture of the terminal and post it up here? I'll work on getting some real good pictures of the controller this weekend and put them up.

This scan shows what I assume is all of the harness?

Comment

• Hello?
                              Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                              1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                              1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                              1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                              1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                              1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

• Chirp-chirp, chirp-chirp......

Comment

Working...
                                X