Easy to Learn EFI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
    Why wouldn't it work with 8 injectors on a 3.0 board? Isn't running a set of 4 low impedance injectors per bank easier on it than a single low impedance injector? With the injectors tied in parallel the resistance would be the same as a single wouldn't it? Might require a tad more current because the 4 paths instead of one, but more than a set of 4 high impedance injectors?
    My mistake, somehow I read your 3.00 and turned that into a 2.2 board, the one without the Flyback protection circuits. So you're right, it would work.

My only point is, Injector Resistor packs should be avoided at all costs because they cause difficulty tuning idle in aggressive apps.
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
      My mistake, somehow I read your 3.00 and turned that into a 2.2 board, the one without the Flyback protection circuits. So you're right, it would work.

My only point is, Injector Resistor packs should be avoided at all costs because they cause difficulty tuning idle in aggressive apps.
      Gotta keep ya honest now
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
        Isn't running a set of 4 low impedance injectors per bank easier on it than a single low impedance injector? With the injectors tied in parallel the resistance would be the same as a single wouldn't it?
        When four are connected in parallel, the impedance is reduced by a factor of four. If they were in series, then it would be increased, but the voltage across each one would only be 1/4th, so they probably wouldn't fire.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Wow- my memory is bad. I have a MS1 ver. 3.0. So this one cannot drive low Z injectors?
          Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
            Wow- my memory is bad. I have a MS1 ver. 3.0. So this one cannot drive low Z injectors?
            that one CAN drive low impedance injectors without resistor packs. The version 3.0 PCB, which is blue, has a built-in flyback circuit for low impedance, high current injectors. You are good to go!
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I have been reading most of the afternoon on installing and setting up my MS1. One question- the Megamanual shows the connection to an MSD 6A using a GM HEI module. Is this the best way or the only way to do this? I am using a magnetic pickup billet Mallory distributor that currently connects directly to the MSD 6A thur the VR trigger. The megamanual shows routing the signal from the distributor to the MS1 then the output of the MS1 to the MSD.

Comment

I'd hook the VR sensor on the distributor right to the MS1 tach input, making sure all the jumpers are set for VR pickup. Then I'd hook the MS1 ignition output wire up to the MSD box's POINTS wire, not the VR. That's how I had mine set up for over a year.

This is how I had mine set up until I went to a crank trigger (just because I felt like it and may go to distributorless). That's a 7-pin HEI VR pickup coil with the shielded MegaSquirt Tach input signal wire. It works just as well with the 4-pin one and I'm sure perfectly with the Mallory distributor.

(BTW, this is an odd-fire V6 distributor locked out and installed on a Buick 455 =P)

And FYI, when I went to a crank trigger, I just moved that wire from the pick up coil to the hall sensor at the crankshaft, then changed the setting in TunerStudio to tell it that it's seeing a 36-1 wheel instead of VR signal. It was a piece of cake.
                Last edited by TheSilverBuick; January 29, 2012, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I have been reading most of the afternoon on installing and setting up my MS1. One question- the Megamanual shows the connection to an MSD 6A using a GM HEI module. Is this the best way or the only way to do this? I am using a magnetic pickup billet Mallory distributor that currently connects directly to the MSD 6A thur the VR trigger. The megamanual shows routing the signal from the distributor to the MS1 then the output of the MS1 to the MSD.

EDIT: the HEI module method was for early versions of the circuit board that did not have a direct VR input. Your board has a direct VR input so you would not need the HEI module at all. The Megasquirt can take the VR input just like the MSD box does.

I think Randal's way is how you *ultimately* want to do it - this lets you map and control ignition in the megasquirt, however I think you should do Fuel Control only for your first step. That means, leave the VR output going into the MSD, then use the MSD's Tach Output to feed the Tach Input to the megasquirt. The megasquirt won't have control of timing at that point, but you can drive the car and get the fuel map right (and get comfortable with tuning) before you try to tackle the ignition part (which, to me, is the harder thing to do).

Randal, double check my work but I think that's how he should do it since he's concerned about making the project go smoothly.
                  Last edited by dieselgeek; January 29, 2012, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Just like Stiney's project, but with an MSD box instead of GM HEI. Like D/G says, I'd use the MSD tach output to feed the MegaSquirt IF you don't want to jump in with the ignition and fuel all at once and just do the fuel side.

Like D/G said, the GM module is if you did not install the IGBT module (should be standard with all 3.00 and 3.57 boards..).
                    I ran the 7-pin GM module setup for a short while to control timing before the MSD box. It was a waste of time and was just extra parts. It worked to control timing, but I would occasionally get tach signal drop outs that disappeared when I just got rid of the module and ran straight off the pickup coil. I could of ran the coil straight from the MS, but opted to go with an MSD 6AL box when I switched over to the pickup coil feed.

(yeah it's the same distributor as above, originally a 4-pin HEI off an oddfire V6)

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I woke up at 2:30 this morning thinking about how to mount the relay board and the MS in general. I certainly want to take this one step at a time. So fuel only is the the first step.

I was watching one of the DIY videos yesterday. It showed on the user interface that the timing advance was displayed. How does it sense this? If all it is getting is one signal from the distributor, how does it know how much advance is being added by the distributor? Seems to me that it needs a reference signal from the crank as well as the signal from the distributor to determine advance. Or is that gage simply showing the amount of timing added by the MS?

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I woke up at 2:30 this morning thinking about how to mount the relay board and the MS in general. I certainly want to take this one step at a time. So fuel only is the the first step.

I was watching one of the DIY videos yesterday. It showed on the user interface that the timing advance was displayed. How does it sense this? If all it is getting is one signal from the distributor, how does it know how much advance is being added by the distributor? Seems to me that it needs a reference signal from the crank as well as the signal from the distributor to determine advance. Or is that gage simply showing the amount of timing added by the MS?
                        If the distributor advance mechanism is locked out and the MegaSquirt correctly knows the angle before TDC where it gets a pulse from the distributor, it can control timing and inform you of the timing it is commanding without needing to add a crank trigger.

Comment

Yeah because when the distributor is locked out, the megasquirt knows the speed in which the engine is turning (RPM) and can calculate how much time has to pass before sending spark to the next cylinder for the advance. It's mind blowingly fast, but engines are super slow compared to computers.

Now to be aware of, if you do a fuel only set up, the MegaSquirt will display an ignition advance, but it's only displaying what it would be commanding if it were in charge of ignition too, not what it actually is.

Comment

If you don't mind buying new(or finding a used one) check out these MSD distributors that have pickups for syncing the cam.....

From small block street cruisers to 10000 horsepower top fuel dragsters, MSD's ignition systems has been the industry leader for over 40 years. MSD continues to push the envelope with cutting-edge ignition technology as well as intake manifolds and EFI systems.

Comment

Working...
                            X