No announcement yet.

Someones New EFI Intake Project is well underway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw some pictures Doc posted on FB. It looks like you're going to larger TB's Doc? The rear one looked like the FAST and the front an Accufab? Was it the camera lens as they seemed to be two different sizes. I like the spacer too.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Yes two sizes its what he had, but they are the same CFM the shorter one in front to try to clear the hood. We are just not sure we can get the port taper on it to flow enough but are going to try.
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

My intuition says that managing airflow into the TB's is likely as important to EFI individual port injection engines as it is to carbed or TBI motors. I regret not trying the air cleaner/tray assembly on mine at the engine dyno. I built an angle into the air cleaner/isolator tray to try and accomodate the hood but it was a big compromise over what I think wold be ideal.

The exact same K&N air cleaner carb inlet set up helped a 496" Pontiac motor and hurt a 525" BBC on the same dyno set-up. Every engine is different and lacking infinite testing and dyno time we all have to make the most educated guess we can.
        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Try and fail happens to me a lot Bill.

I am already making secondary plans if we slow down with it. We do know its got a 8.999999999 in it now just being greedy.

Comment

round two. Already had the plenum done; customer scribed the ports and sent it back for finishing. Here ya go Doc 'n Jeff.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Work was done by Scott Foxwell took over 5lbs out of it.

Comment

Man is that pretty. The radiused runner transitions are works of art. Congrats to Doc on the up-coming HRM feature. Won't they be interested to see the new go fast stuff.
              Last edited by CDMBill; May 14, 2012, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Posted by Scott

I can't say as I don't have any before and afters, but I will say that from an area standpoint, there is a night and day difference.
                Here are some numbers to ponder:
                When I started, I calculated a runner opening size (in the plenum) based on velocity. I made the openings 5.4 sq in.
                When the intake came back with the port openings scribed, they were ~4.2 sq in. I had to establish a relatively even taper (in area) from 4.2" to 5.4". Here were the first measurements I took of the runner, starting at the port opening and working toward the plenum in 1" increments (without radius correction):
                Port - 4.24
                1" - 3.96
                2" - 3.88
                3" - 3.80
                LOL...not looking good. This number is supposed to be getting bigger, not smaller.

Now, the runner has a taper:
                Port - 4.24
                1" - 4.31
                2" - 4.38
                3" - 4.42
                4" - 4.45
                5" - 5.01
                Opening - 5.38

It's not an ideal taper. Form the plenum, the port gets small, fast, but there's nothing I can do with that without major reconstruction. Given the limitations of the casting, this is about as good is it can get. You can see by the area increase in the middle of the runner that it's going to move a lot more air and be a lot happier.

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                  Man is that pretty. The radiused runner transitions are works of art. Congrats to Doc on the up-coming HRM feature. Won't they be interested to see the new go fast stuff.
                  Thanks counselor. I am excited about the iconic magazine feature, but wish I had grabbed the elusive 8 second DragWeek pass prior to publication. Otherwise most awesome indeed.
                  HOTROD Dragweek Pro Street N/A winner 2007,2011, 2012/ 2nd, 2009
                  HOTROD Dragweek quickest and fastest naturally aspirated car in any class 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012
                  FIRST IN THE EIGHTS Legal Pro Street N/A HOTROD Drag Week 2012

Comment

Originally posted by whichdoctor View Post
                    Thanks counselor. I am excited about the iconic magazine feature, but wish I had grabbed the elusive 8 second DragWeek pass prior to publication. Otherwise most awesome indeed.
                    Congrats on the pic of your car on the last Page of the latest HotRod.......

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                      Congrats on the pic of your car on the last Page of the latest HotRod.......
                      Thank you TC
                      Camaros forever!
                      HOTROD Dragweek quickest and fastest naturally aspirated car in any class 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012

Comment

We'll get that 8.9x slip soon enough.
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

8.70's I bet a round of beer.

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                            8.70's I bet a round of beer.
                            Hmmmm,9.12-8.799=0.321 second improvement.

I think I would be buying a round if the changes being made produce that kind of gain!

Comment

You might just be pleasantly surprised, I know I was by the jump in the torque curve all the way across the usable band with the TR.

Comment

Location of Bungs
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	layout.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	862029Drilling Pilot holes to locate from the inside of port, then Manifold get flipped over Drill Is used in Mill drill chuck then locked down and change to a end mill to make injector hole.

Name:	bung0.jpg
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	862031
                                Milling from under so it does not hit the top of intake with the mill.

Name:	bung1.jpg
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	862030
                                Action Shot of Doc Mac at work. Asking Is this how Wilson does it?

Name:	Doc at work 2.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	862028

Name:	Doc at work.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	862027
                                Presto, Injector bungs! Ready to weld

Name:	injector rail.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	862032

TheHat, The Dom throttle body holes are to small, so we cut them out at a 12* angle with a inside bore, then went all the way around with a mill tool and will blend from there. Scott is sending us our spacer we should be threw pretty quick and just waiting on the lifters to come back to try it out.

Name:	top intake.jpg
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	862033
                                Last edited by JeffMcKC; May 21, 2012, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X