X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JeffMcKC
    replied
    Posted by Scott

I can't say as I don't have any before and afters, but I will say that from an area standpoint, there is a night and day difference.
    Here are some numbers to ponder:
    When I started, I calculated a runner opening size (in the plenum) based on velocity. I made the openings 5.4 sq in.
    When the intake came back with the port openings scribed, they were ~4.2 sq in. I had to establish a relatively even taper (in area) from 4.2" to 5.4". Here were the first measurements I took of the runner, starting at the port opening and working toward the plenum in 1" increments (without radius correction):
    Port - 4.24
    1" - 3.96
    2" - 3.88
    3" - 3.80
    LOL...not looking good. This number is supposed to be getting bigger, not smaller.

Now, the runner has a taper:
    Port - 4.24
    1" - 4.31
    2" - 4.38
    3" - 4.42
    4" - 4.45
    5" - 5.01
    Opening - 5.38

It's not an ideal taper. Form the plenum, the port gets small, fast, but there's nothing I can do with that without major reconstruction. Given the limitations of the casting, this is about as good is it can get. You can see by the area increase in the middle of the runner that it's going to move a lot more air and be a lot happier.

Leave a comment:

• CDMBill
    replied
    Man is that pretty. The radiused runner transitions are works of art. Congrats to Doc on the up-coming HRM feature. Won't they be interested to see the new go fast stuff.
    Last edited by CDMBill; May 14, 2012, 09:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied
    round two. Already had the plenum done; customer scribed the ports and sent it back for finishing. Here ya go Doc 'n Jeff.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Work was done by Scott Foxwell took over 5lbs out of it.

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied
    Try and fail happens to me a lot Bill.

I am already making secondary plans if we slow down with it. We do know its got a 8.999999999 in it now just being greedy.

Leave a comment:

• CDMBill
    replied
    My intuition says that managing airflow into the TB's is likely as important to EFI individual port injection engines as it is to carbed or TBI motors. I regret not trying the air cleaner/tray assembly on mine at the engine dyno. I built an angle into the air cleaner/isolator tray to try and accomodate the hood but it was a big compromise over what I think wold be ideal.

The exact same K&N air cleaner carb inlet set up helped a 496" Pontiac motor and hurt a 525" BBC on the same dyno set-up. Every engine is different and lacking infinite testing and dyno time we all have to make the most educated guess we can.

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied
    Yes two sizes its what he had, but they are the same CFM the shorter one in front to try to clear the hood. We are just not sure we can get the port taper on it to flow enough but are going to try.

Leave a comment:

• CDMBill
    replied
    Saw some pictures Doc posted on FB. It looks like you're going to larger TB's Doc? The rear one looked like the FAST and the front an Accufab? Was it the camera lens as they seemed to be two different sizes. I like the spacer too.

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied
    Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
    On the chassis dyno the torque curve never nosed over so we figured the converter change was a bit too aggressive as did the guy who built it at Edge, so they restalled it for free per their guarantee after we got back. Saw essentially the same thing on the datalogs as the you could barely spot the shifts and the shift recovery point was only 600 RPM lower than the max RPM.

Who knows maybe that was what it needed.

That manifold porting looks great. Are the runners curved as well as tapered?
    Yes the bottom half has not been done yet.

When a converter is not locked 1 to 1 it has TQ mulitiplication going on their is a balance I would like to stay above Peak TQ for sure.

Leave a comment:

• CDMBill
    replied
    On the chassis dyno the torque curve never nosed over so we figured the converter change was a bit too aggressive as did the guy who built it at Edge, so they restalled it for free per their guarantee after we got back. Saw essentially the same thing on the datalogs as the you could barely spot the shifts and the shift recovery point was only 600 RPM lower than the max RPM.

Who knows maybe that was what it needed.

That manifold porting looks great. Are the runners curved as well as tapered?

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied
    Converter slip can be over rated Bill dont fall into the trap of chasing it.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
    and a 12% slip converter,
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• CDMBill
    replied
    I was pleasantly surprised on mine that we made as large a step change as we did across the entire RPM band going from fully ported manifold, done with the heads as a unit, single four TB to the tunnel ram that was done to a standard spec via CNC programs with the new heads and a moderate cam given the dispacement: 282/294/113 .820ish. That said my previous head/manifold combination was not in the Very Worked class.

I'm glad we eneded up with the injectors lower on the runner as drivability is way better than I expected and the reversion was still pronouced shall we say at low rpm and idle.

It's hard to separate the efffect of improved heads, bigger cam and improved induction, but the car picked up almost .5 sec. and 7 MPH with a fat tune, similar weight, and a 12% slip converter, no suspension changes. Just the thing to get someone solidly into the next single digit.

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied
    It will be very interesting Bill if it will work better than a Very Worked over Stage 5 Super Victor. Looking to raise the TQ curve and Still get it to RPM we will see if it can Pass enough air.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    The manifold gods are smiling today. My nowhere near as sexy as that Parker Funnel Web showed up finally!! Woooo! It's got more port for a 302 than the torker does for a 460.

Nice looking hunk of aluminum there. I wish I *needed* it!!

Leave a comment:

• CDMBill
    replied
    Hmmmm, who do we know that runs an N/A EFI BBC?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X