Hey, Silver Buick, gimme a rundown...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, Silver Buick, gimme a rundown...

...On your parts list for the GM TBI on your 428. (T-Bird, right?)

I'm entertaining a TBI setup for a stock BBC in a truck, need to know parts, models/years to scrounge off of, etc..

Motor is built for torque, all cast iron, peanut port heads, etc... Currently has a Carter 750 on it, but not so good off-roading.
    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

I got a Holley 640cfm 2bbl TBI off e-bay for $250. I don't know what the cfm flows are on stock 305, 350 or 454's are. I just figured the Autolite on the T-bird was a 600cfm, so the 640cfm should be go. If you need more cfm's than that I'm 90% sure you'll have to find one of the Holley 4bbl TBI's off e-bay. Fuel pump wise I ran a cheap universal one from the parts store for a couple years, but I didn't think it kept up at higher loads/WOT and recently bought a ~24psi pump off summit for $80 or something. From the junkyard I'd get a Ford pump from a late '80's Truck or Van, as I've been recently told the TBI fuel pressure regulator should be able to keep the pressure under control. I bought one of those for my Skylark for like $30, new they are $110. I used a Q-jet to squarebore adapter and a plate that the TBI bolts to the Q-jet side, then had to do a bit of grinding on the spacer/adapter so the butterfly's on the TBI wouldn't hit the adapter. I think stock TBI's have smaller diameter throttle valves and that may not be an issue then.

From the actual junkyard on this car I grabbed a GM intake air temp sensor (IAT) and pigtail wires and a coolant temp sensor (CLT) and pig tail wires and that's it. I'd just add the fuel pump to the list if I were doing it over again. If I had room under the hood I probably would of gotten a TBI air filter housing too. TBI's are just so inclusive with the parts they come with, so you aren't sourcing injectors, fuel pressure regulator, TPS, throttle body or idle air control valve separately. They come included. Oh I would grab a section of fuel line that connects to the TBI too. They thread in with an o-ring seal that's not a standard NPT or AN type fitting.

Picture of the throttle body on the adapter plates. I also grafted a Ford throttle arm onto this from a junk Autolite carb base BluLightning sent me. Make my kick down for the trans work way better.
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; March 30, 2012, 10:02 PM.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Nice.

MS II?

And how did you mount the IAT sensor? Inside the filter base?
      Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

It's running an MSI. It's going to get the MSII chip out of the Skylark when I stick the MSIII chip in the Skylark though.

In total hack fashion, the IAT sensor it has just layed around where ever it happened to lay around. I've actually melted one on the exhaust cross over, so I keep it away from there now. In the Skylark I got a PCV valve grommet (or was it a wiring one?) that fit nicely around the sensor and then drilled the appropriate sized hole for the grommet in the air filter base. The T-birds filter housing/base is too small to do that. You can see the sensor laying next to the yellow vacuum cap (with the grey plug).

Here is the Skylark's.

Comment

Dude, does that pic show ALL the vacuum ports capped on the T-bird?

Comment

The TBI comes with a BAZZILION vacuum ports. The T-bird's intake manifold comes with MIZZILION vacuum ports. So I found a couple on the TBI that weren't needed There's one on the front that's ported vacuum to the distributor

Comment

Good thread ... I have an MSI that I bought for the VW that I sold a few months ago, maybe I should be looking at using it for the 390 in the 66 Bird I recently picked up. I had the MS and EDIS stuff advertised on the VW forums, but no takers. HMMM ...

cheers
              Ed
              Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
              07 Mustang GT with some stuff
              88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I don't run any timing controls on the T-bird, just get the tach signal from the negative side of the coil like hooking up a tachometer.

Comment

Working...
                X