Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about taking the plunge - hardware help, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been running the NAPA 3/8th EFI fuel line between the high pressure pump, and the lines that link the ends of the fuel rails since the end of 2009, ~40,000 miles. I have been considering replacing them, but they are rated for the application.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I dont like hard line very much, I am afraid of work hardening and cracking from the bigger alluminum lines
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I don't like aluminum lines either.

What's the name of the braided stuff that's not stainless but still "abrasion resistant" that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I used SS hardlines, then SS braided for the rest of fuel system. I'm not sure that I would use the black nylon braided on fuel, I have used a lot of it on oil lines.

If I recall, we were required to use the SS braided, so if you don't have to deal with a rule set you could probably get by in an area that is well protected.
          I'm still learning

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?rt=nc...p3286.c0.m1583
            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Still studying Matt Cramer's book and working on making parts decisions. At this point I'm looking at using the existing intake and either getting a cast elbow to mount a regular round throttle body of some flavor, or fabricating one from aluminum sheet. Thinking about making a junkyard run this weekend to look at what's out there. Planning on looking for a Ford van pump. Oh BTW, I think I will need to run a surge canister. I already have a Holley pump I can use for that. Hoping to find a Chevy van or pickup with a Vortec engine to rob sensors from, like an IAT and coolant temp sensor. Hoping that whatever throttle body I can come up with already has a TPS and a MAP sensor.

Also thinking spark-- if I am able to find a 96-99 Chevy Vortec engine, would the distributor that comes in those be a good choice and be capable of being controlled by an MS2?

Wide-band oxygen sensors- any production vehicles from which I could source? I understand that some 2002 and newer VW's have them. Others?
              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I grabbed most my sensors from early 90's GM cars, but late 90's to early-2,000 should work good. A throttle body hopefully will have the TPS. The MAP sensor is built into the MegaSquirt. Finding a wide band O2 sensor is easy, it's the controller that you can't get from the junkyard, and getting the controller usually comes with the sensor. As for distributors, I wouldn't even go that late. If I had a Chevy I'd get a small cap HEI from a late-80's to mid-90's GM V8 (8-pin), as odds are you'll gut the module out anyways if you are going to run an MSD box, or run it with the module if not running one.

Comment

I currently have an MSD E-curve with an MSD Blaster II coil, could that work? I am not opposed to adding CDI if necessary.
                  The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

What's the E-curve look like under the cap? Odds are it can be used, but I don't know for sure.

Comment

Best pics I could find.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8394_cutaway.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	861726Click image for larger version

Name:	8394_inside.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	861725Click image for larger version

Name:	121-ecurveinside.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	861724

Instructions: http://www.msdignition.com/WorkArea/...id=15032386286

There is an option to lock out the timing.
                      Last edited by Schtauffer; April 30, 2012, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Orange wire to the MegaSquirt tach input (probably using a 1k resistor and power wire too, I'll get a picture later), Red wire to a switched power source or positive side of the coil, black wire to ground. Then the megasquirt output wire to either the negative side of the coil (with the positive hooked up normally) or to the points input of a CDI box and hook the CDI box up to the coil.
                        Last edited by TheSilverBuick; April 30, 2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X