TPS and progressive throttle - cam shaped cable holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPS and progressive throttle - cam shaped cable holder

I may have posted a similar question before, I'm still trying to get my head around some of this.

I'm tossing around an idea since I have a couple of 58mm Mustang throttle bodies sitting around. I was wondering about TPS , and then it occurred to me that the cable pulley is already progressive, ie, the pulley is cam shaped.

I was thinking of progressive linkage to open a second TB under 50%+ throttle and having the second TB open twice as fast so they both hit 100% at the same time.

Is there anything special I would need to do for TPS? I'd drive it off the primary TB. Likewise, Ford's IAC is on the TB, I'd only use the primary for that.

Thoughts? Pitfalls?

I'm sure it would be easier to slap a big a$$ tb on it and be done, but that's just not my style. pffft.
    Last edited by Beagle; April 20, 2012, 01:36 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tbi.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	861590 see how the pulley is cam shaped? That's what I'm curious about ... probably easier to run both of them at the same ratio, but for some reason I've got progressive stuck in my head.

Two 58mm tb's would be about 850cfm according to my calculator thingy, which I think would be about right for a mild BBF.
    Last edited by Beagle; April 20, 2012, 01:52 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Pretty much the only thing I use the TPS for is for accel enrichments, aka pump-shot. So as long as the primary throttlebody isn't at 100% before the second throttle body hit's 100% it's not a big deal. The TPS simply measures rate of change, doesn't actually care what the opening percent is. At least in the megasquirt world I'm working in.

I just recently checked on mine, and though I have a square bore throttle body with 4 equal diameter holes, the TPS measures around 75% opening before the secondaries even start opening. So according to the TPS the last 25% of throttle opening accounts for a 50% increase of available air. That's some progressive linkage.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

[QUOTE=Beagle;633132]Click image for larger version

Name:	tbi.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	861590 see how the pulley is cam shaped? That's what I'm curious about ... [/QUOTE]

I see some cam shapes, but they definitely ain't pulleys! Have to admit a small amount of curiuosity myself!
        Last edited by STINEY; April 20, 2012, 08:38 AM.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

mmmmmm..... twins.... and you need to have your eyes checked if you think those are 58mm units.
          Last edited by BBR; April 20, 2012, 08:47 AM.
          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

There's a throttle body in that pic? Beags - if that's your better half holding that thing - I'm surprised you spend any time in the garage at all, unless she's helping.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Looks like twins to me

I know on Ford stuff you can see volt changes but it sees Modes. Closed throttle, Part throttle, and Wot throttle

The throttle body tps will be hooked to the shaft of the primary and it wont care. Your just adding air and it will read map for the fuel
              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

different opening rates might give you distribution problems at part throttle, but one thing I've learned is that you never know until you try, and 3/4 of what you're told won't work on the internet - works. Have at it Beagle!
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                  different opening rates might give you distribution problems at part throttle, but one thing I've learned is that you never know until you try, and 3/4 of what you're told won't work on the internet - works. Have at it Beagle!
                  Now that would be a different issue.
                  2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                  First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                  2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                  2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
                    Now that would be a different issue.
                    I know when we had CDMBill's engine on the dyno, they changed some things about the Fore/Aft opening rate to balance out individual AFRs. Remember when we had his engine on at Vrbancic's we didn't have the ability to change individual cylinders, but we did have the ability to watch them. Which we will soon do on yours...

It's gonna blow your mind, that is for sure!
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                    X