I6 Landcruiser intake mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I6 Landcruiser intake mods

The phone rings, and you dont know whats going to happen next sometimes...But the request for a landcruiser straight six straight stack induction system for speed density EFi I got last week was pretty strange. After trying to steer the customer into something a bit more "practicle" we went for it. Its almost done, and here are the results:Click image for larger version

Name:	LC1 progress4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	879176Click image for larger version

Name:	LC1 progress3.jpg
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	879177Click image for larger version

Name:	LC1 progress2.jpg
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	879178 After doing some basic research I found that the rest of the world is full of these toyota motors (not the US though) and the mods for these motors get pretty wild. We gundrilled a common plenum between the intakes in the TB mounting plate for the MAP and IAC and Im alsmost thinking this thing is going to work, after they cut the hole in the hood! The cast portion of the system is from the original two piece common plenum manifold, and the ports were not in any sort of rectilinear order, hence the slight angles on the tubes. Not sure if it was worth missing speed week for...
    BKB
    www.FBthrottlebodies.com
    Bruce K Bridges

which I-6? the I-6 that's in the old Landcruisers is based on the Chev 250 I-6 (Toyota bought the rights to produce them). Of course, toyota has several I-6s including the venerable 2JZ motor...

if it is the Chev 250 design, there's a huge problem with them burning the middle exhaust valves because of the design, the gasket can blow out on the exhaust, then suck cold air into the motor - thus causing damage to the exhaust valve. Headers, of course, mostly cure the problem, but you have to be careful and keep it from leaking there.

what blows me away - the 250 weighs more then a 350, has less hp, less torque, worse mileage, narrow rpm range - at least it costs more to build? .... in short, not optimal in our neck of the world
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 16, 2012, 10:17 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

This one is for the Toyota designed 4 valve per cylinder 1FE-FZ motor. They kept making it until 2008 internationally. Production stopped in 98 for the US. Its ultrareliable but somewhat of a gas hog...4.5 liters and about 180 rwhp...
      BKB
      Last edited by BKBridges; August 16, 2012, 10:50 AM.
      www.FBthrottlebodies.com
      Bruce K Bridges

Comment

What sort of throttles are they?

Comment

We make all or our throttelbodies "in house". We wanted to put some 48mm units on it, but the smallest individual bodies (1 bbl) we had made to date was our 52mm "flat head" units. We dont have any "standard" stack TBs stocked, so we used these, which are a variation on our Viper/Jeep throttle body design. The tubes are 46mm ID. We are looking at some alternatives for the next I6 systems as 52mm is a bit big for the 4.5l motor.
          BKB
          Attached Files
          www.FBthrottlebodies.com
          Bruce K Bridges

Comment

To give an idea of the motor this is the one in my 80 series Landcruiser and yes there are tons of these in Australia.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1516.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	863661

Photo showing the common plenum and the set out of the runners standard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1515.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	863662

They are gas hogs, but a fantastic motor as far as life and will not give up at low engine speeds, I've had mine still pulling at 600rpm, I was sure it was going to cough and stop but it didn't.
            Tim
            Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

The old I-6 was actually based on the 235. The mains are all a different size like the 235 and only 4 mains.
              Last edited by OldMachinist; August 16, 2012, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Tim,
                Youve got the MAF version of the FZ, The later units (2000-2008) are speed density with a slightly different intake manifold (not so "triangular" in layout) Cant do stacks on a MAF set-up, at least Im not sure how to! Im approaching this project aesthetically as I have no idea how the performance is going to be affected...Hoepfully good torque and a nice bump in WOT...Its what the customer wants! Nice header by the way!
                BKB
                www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                Bruce K Bridges

Comment

You're a sick man, and thanks.

If you went with a common inlet with one MAF you could do it that way? I guess it would defeat the cool looking six single filter setup though. Could do this kind of like a BXR setup for the Mustangs where you could tailor runner length, send several lengths and let them decide which one fits their needs best? Very cool looking...

Do any of the motorcycle or boat throttle bodies look like they would work?
                  Last edited by Beagle; August 17, 2012, 11:05 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Im working on a 4x18" air cleaner for the stacks. The TBs that we're using on this one have a nice ASME inlet so they pull from a plate well. In the future, on this system we will use a smaller pattern TB thats "in the works" (sitting on my CAD machine's screen). My original design for this system used our Victory motorcycle throttlebodys (3 2barrels) with 9" stacks on top, but the customer wanted individual bodys. Being primarily a throttle body mfg., F&B tries to keep our designs all F&B, but 6 Harley TBs from Morelli would look real nice on top...
                    BKB
                    www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                    Bruce K Bridges

Comment

OM,
                      I think that your thinking of a different motor! The 1FZ-FE seems to be built like a brick Sh*t house... 7 mains, forged crank and rods, and oil squirters for piston cooling in a naturally aspirated config... Im liking them.
                      BKB
                      Attached Files
                      www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                      Bruce K Bridges

Comment

I was referring to the older engine, the F and 2F. I remember what a pain in the ass it was grinding the mains on those multi-size pos because you have to set the arnold guage for each one. Its the same on the 235 Chevy's, I guess they thought getting larger as you go back would make the crank stronger. Also 4 cyl Peugeot cranks but the mains got smaller as you went towards the flywheel flange just the opposite of what you would think.
                        Last edited by OldMachinist; August 17, 2012, 03:18 PM.

Comment

OM,
                          Kinda like left handed lug nuts...interesting ideas that just caused problems.
                          BKB
                          www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                          Bruce K Bridges

Comment

The Header and the full 3" system I have on mine you can get "off the shelf" here.

The good thing about the whole system is that it bolts together on the original locations, so you can just add the header or the two parts of the 3" system.

The motors as you can see are bullet proof and very under stressed in standard form.
                            They are very reliable and work well in tough conditions doing 4X4 off-road and very rarely let people down.

The bottom end of mine, to the best of my knowledge, has over 300,000 miles on it and is still solid.

When I first got mine I thought, this thing needs cam, and then went about looking into cams for it, not long after I had the 600rpm experince and from then on I was not going to change cams!
                            But saying that I think cams would really wake up this motor with its four valves.

Then there is always this option that's popular over here, around $4000, this one is on a 100 series.

Last edited by 65RHDEER; August 17, 2012, 05:35 PM.
                            Tim
                            Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Since we were rushed on this project (3 weeks from phone call to delivery!) we were not able to deal with the air cleaner element design very well. The kid that works for us tagged the element spacers to try to hide the ugliness... dont think it worked. The rest of the system came out nicely, but we had to create a linkage that would reverse rotate one of the bodys to get the factory Toyota TPS going in the right direction. I found a different element from K&N this morning that will work out much better in the future. Im hoping the bottom end is big with this system, but who knows...Its all show at this point.
                              Next!
                              Attached Files
                              www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                              Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Working...
                              X