No announcement yet.

EZ-EFI, Atomic EFI or ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking a system from affordable-fuel-injection.com simular to a megasquirt kit
    Last edited by derbydad276; May 3, 2014, 09:07 AM.
    your kids can have their own racecar www.aasbd.org

Comment

Originally posted by derbydad276 View Post
      I'm looking a system from affordable-fuel-injection.com simular to a megasquirt kit
      Those guys basically sell chipped GM ECUs and rebuilt TBI units - they don't have much in common with MegaSquirt.

Comment

I'm clueless with electronics And as for tuning with a laptop and building a box myself .... Yea sure .... ( look in the sky ) flying Turtles ! I want to add this to a engine that was not fuel injected Please school me what to look at

Comment

Your best starting point may be a book, like this one. Performance Fuel Injection Systems Of course, I may be a bit biased on that subject.
          Last edited by Matt Cramer; May 9, 2014, 06:10 AM.

Comment

What would spending $14 on book tell me that I can't find on the internet? I'm working with a 335 Cleveland series engine What throttle body system would I use with a mega squirt box ? And it brings me back to tuning With a GM system it's self learning After someone sets up a chip for it which I'm fine with . 335 engines use the same dizzy as a 460 so I can take advantage of computerized retarted timing by wiring the distributor to a 7 pin GM controler

Comment

What would spending $14 on book tell me that I can't find on the internet?
              You could find equal information online - the main advantage of the book is that you won't have to track down several different sites or filter through bad information.

I'm working with a 335 Cleveland series engine What throttle body system would I use with a mega squirt box ?
              Whatever can get enough air and fuel into the motor. Most GM TBIs are pretty tiny; even the 454s only made about 260 hp - and the throttle body was sized to support that. A pair of 350 throttle bodies on a dual quad intake may be about right if the motor has any work done on it.

And it brings me back to tuning With a GM system it's self learning After someone sets up a chip for it which I'm fine with .
              The MegaSquirt is something you or a tuner would need to dial in on the engines.

GM's "self learning" is a somewhat basic long term fuel trim, and I wouldn't expect it to work as a primary tuning tool (and it does nothing for your spark maps). How well a chip would work will depend on how much experience your chip burner has with tuning Cleveland series engines on GM ECUs.

335 engines use the same dizzy as a 460 so I can take advantage of computerized retarted timing by wiring the distributor to a 7 pin GM controler
              With MegaSquirt, I'd probably use a 460 TFI distributor.

Comment

the engine is a 1971 400 the first year for the engine 9 to 1 compression rated at 260 hp 430 ft lbs tq no dual quad intake was ever produced for it
                only single 4 Bbl intakes are made for it

i thought the 454 tbi was rated at 670 cfm

I never built (heath kits ) as a kid so soldering together a box isnt in my wheel house

as for tuning if its beyond a ( word )program its beyond my computer knowledge

I was looking at the system as a thrifty version of F.A.S.T 1.0 that I might just pony up the extra $300 and have everything new

Comment

the engine is a 1971 400 the first year for the engine 9 to 1 compression rated at 260 hp 430 ft lbs tq no dual quad intake was ever produced for it
                  only single 4 Bbl intakes are made for it

i thought the 454 tbi was rated at 670 cfm
                  That may be a two barrel 670 cfm - but if your engine is stock, a 454 TBI should be OK.

I never built (heath kits ) as a kid so soldering together a box isnt in my wheel house
                  MegaSquirt can be bought ready to run...

as for tuning if its beyond a ( word )program its beyond my computer knowledge
                  ...but you may need to increase your computer knowledge a little bit to tune it. It is mostly just a matter of adjusting numbers in a program to tune it, rather than actually writing a program. Usually once you have it scaled for your injector size and engine size, and have the ignition type set up, you're most of the way towards a decent startup tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post

That may be a two barrel 670 cfm - but if your engine is stock, a 454 TBI should be OK.

MegaSquirt can be bought ready to run...

...but you may need to increase your computer knowledge a little bit to tune it. It is mostly just a matter of adjusting numbers in a program to tune it, rather than actually writing a program. Usually once you have it scaled for your injector size and engine size, and have the ignition type set up, you're most of the way towards a decent startup tune.

it would be nice if there was a shop here in the detroit area that sold or installed the product

I stated looking at the other kit because it was plug and play and they could tune the chip easily due to the fact they were 30 miles from my house

I got the low mile engine and trans for free which is why Im running it unfortunately the 400 engine got a (bad rap) as a boat anchor because of the 351m 400 once the engine got all smogged up
                    it became a dog and a gas guzzler
                    I lucked out with my engine being a 71 it has 9 to 1 compression it was rated at 265 H.P. and over 350 ft. lbs. TQ engine builders are easily getting 400 hp and 480 tq out the engine with only a few upgrades

after researching systems I'm taking a closer look at the F.A.S.T. 1.0

Comment

Working...
                    X