bench build questions - injector angle at port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bench build questions - injector angle at port

I'm thinking about injector angle and had a couple of questions. Let's say you are putting a 302 manifold on a 351 deck and it requires a pretty thick spacer. The spacer is wide enough for a perpindicular bore and injector placement, I think.

Other than possibly interferening with the valve covers, and custom fuel rail requirements, is there anything incredibly wrong about having your injector perpindicular to the port wall? Plates below for an idea of what I'm talking about.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Beags I've been wondering the same thing ...
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Its not ideal, but it will work.

One year, Kaase had his set up that way at Engine Masters. There are far more ideal ways to do it, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
      I'm still learning

Comment

So what is the "ideal way"?
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Everything I've heard is right at the back of the intake valve, and if you really are pouring on the fuel and air, a set up high in the runner if you're tunnel ramming it.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

If I can figure out how to make it not ugly to run 16, that's pretty much what I'm considering. 8 low, 8 higher up on the runner.

Comment

Keep in mind not all injectors fire fuel parallel to their long axis - some injectors have nozzles that direct flow at an angle.... using a set of those even with the mounting you describe, could still have fuel firing toward the intake valve, instead of directly at the floor of the intake port
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

it's quickly becoming a bench build moreso than serious thought as I run the stuff through Excel. It makes you appreciate the guys running their stuff hard all the more. I guess I could do it if I quit drinking, smoking, and moved into a cardboard box, but I would need a really big box for the garage, and I think my tools would probably grow legs.

I was looking at the Price Motorsports adapters and wondering about phenolic instead of aluminum as the spacer material. I don't guess it would matter if the injector got seated in nylon? The OEM's do it already?
                Last edited by Beagle; October 7, 2012, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Shouldn't matter at all what the injector is seated in as long as its thermally stable and petrol resistant. Two sets of injectors for show, or are you planning for ridiculous speed? Otherwise it's a lot of money and complication.
                  Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

It's a pipe dream Bill - Jake cranked me up a little so I went off on a "what's it take to make 700 hp" trainwreck of thought pattern.

I was thinking about a 11.5:1 408-427" Windsor / Clevor ... Blue Thunder or Kaase heads, custom cam about like a XR292 solid roller (254/[email protected], .621/.627 110 lsa), and a Boss 302 tunnel ram. I haven't mathed it out but I think the spacers to put that manifold on are wide enough for an injector but it would be perpindicular to the port. I was also thinking if I put 30# injectors there and another set higher up the runners that they could be staged and I wouldn't have to try to control 60# injectors at idle or low rpm.

The tunnel ram just because I think it looks cool is kind of dumb but since I'm only typing it and not actually buying it, I figured I would toss it out for comments. I ran it through a simulator and came up with 700 hp or thereabouts at 7000, then I started pricing things and about choked. That was with a 4.125 block with a 3.85 crank (411 inch) because I freaked when I saw the piston speed on a 4.00 x 4.00 408" setup at 6500. You guys spend a LOT more than I think you do.

At some point in life I collected a set of 1 7/8" Fox Cleveland headers, 2v closed chamber Cleveland heads and a Boss 302 tunnel ram for a dirtball cheap Clevor setup, so the Blue Thunder or Kaase heads seemed like a natural... that and they flow like maniacs out of the box. As we know, I'm a little A.D.D. sometimes.
                    Last edited by Beagle; October 16, 2012, 01:55 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about piston speed for 4" stroke deal at 6500. I simply don't think about my piston speed at 7500 with a 4.5" arm. See? Nothing to worry about.
                      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                      X