No announcement yet.

Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD for MegaSquirt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD for MegaSquirt?

Thinking about getting a tablet, some day if I wanted to play with MS could I use the tablet to turn?
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

I'm sure dieselgeek or Matt Cramer will chime in on this, but try this link to see what's out there.

Comment

I know there is an Android app, and that the tuning software runs in Java script. I don't own a tablet or kindle so I don't know what software they are capable of running or if they even have bluetooth capabilities. You would also need a way to link the two and the most common is getting a bluetooth adapter on the megasquirt comm port.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

From what I gather they both use Android as the OS and bluetooth is pretty standard on these type of divices I looked at the website that hauen posted and the Android apps I saw were "dash" and "logger" but no TunerStudio.

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Right, the android app is more of a viewer currently. I think in the latest revision some parameters can be changed, but I'm pretty sure it's just currently a viewer (made by the same guy that make TunerStudio). So actual tuning would have to be via a laptop, but datalogging and viewing can be done with the app.

Here is the website of the actual software. http://www.tunerstudio.com/index.php/shadowdashmsmenu

Here is a thread on running, or rather not running, TunerStudio on the Android OS, but he is working on a Shadowtuner app for tuning. LT4011Vette is the guy who writes the software. The last post by him implies that the Nextus 7 is a good tablet for the Apps.

and he goes further to say what he thinks the minimum requirements would be for running his apps on a tablet.
          Last edited by TheSilverBuick; October 25, 2012, 10:16 AM.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

If you want to run Tuning Software of any kind your best bet is to get a Windows based Tablet.....

Also IMO, you'd be better off with a NetBook.......

Comment

I just got my tablet to connect to the MS3 via blue tooth. Tuning not there yet but the shadow dash is really cool. Being able to use the tablet GPS/accelerometer == built in dyno..

Boost, rpm , gps, accelerometer + vehicle weight == dyno.. just hard to find enough road to let the it go in direct and TC LU..

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                If you want to run Tuning Software of any kind your best bet is to get a Windows based Tablet.....

Also IMO, you'd be better off with a NetBook.......
                Netbooks suck, overheat frequently and don't have the right guts for continuous serial datalogging, FYI.

And a Windows tablet? Windows Tablets don't run all the same software as a windows laptop. Don't get one presuming it'll "just work"

Cheap used popular laptop is still the best bet, if you're staying in the MS world then you can run Linux instead of Windows and have a faster computing experience (that's what I'm doing these days, and running a virtual Windows system on the Linux laptop to run Windows apps).
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by efi-diy View Post
                  Tuning not there yet....
                  But "maybe someday"?

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                    Netbooks suck, overheat frequently and don't have the right guts for continuous serial datalogging, FYI.

And a Windows tablet? Windows Tablets don't run all the same software as a windows laptop. Don't get one presuming it'll "just work"

Cheap used popular laptop is still the best bet, if you're staying in the MS world then you can run Linux instead of Windows and have a faster computing experience (that's what I'm doing these days, and running a virtual Windows system on the Linux laptop to run Windows apps).
                    Maybe you should try ASUS, my netbook from them has never "overheated" and my kids play games on it when we're on he road, which puts more of a demand on it than any tuning software will do......

And this is the ASUS tablet I have, it's the EP121 E-Slate the most powerful tablet on the market...... It has an I5 processor and 64gigs of memory.....

Last edited by TC; October 26, 2012, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Yep, Shadow Dash is mostly a viewer / data logger, but can load and save tunes as well. It doesn't have full tuning capability yet.

Comment

Maybe you should try ASUS, my netbook from them has never "overheated" and my kids play games on it when we're on he road, which puts more of a demand on it than any tuning software will do......
                        Playing games through a browser isn't anywhere near the CPU load that a two way serial stream requires. Netbooks don't have the built in architecture to handle this. Do you want to keep arguing with me on this Alex? seriously? maybe you should install Tuner Studio on either of your awesome computers and let your children handle the tuning. Maybe your project cars have a chance at life then. :-)

And this is the ASUS tablet I have, it's the EP121 E-Slate the most powerful tablet on the market...... It has an I5 processor and 64gigs of memory.....
                        Here's a little help on your tablet: It has a core I5 processor at 1.3GHz and onlty has 4GB of memory that you can't upgrade, which can be found in everything from car PCs to smart phones now. It was "hot stuff" three years ago, and is FAR from being the "most powerful tablet" anywhere.

Also, you'd be wise to do your homework because the Windows tablet doesn't run all Windows applications. But then again, you're never actually going to *use* any of this for tuning right, so might as well go toss a load of bullshit out on the internet?

Ask anyone who's used a Netbook for tuning and logging in their car - that's probably a better way for the OP to get an answer then to listen to "guy who knows all and does nothing"
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I don't use my Tablet for my tuning software, that is what my netbook is for, I run HPTuners on it, done quite a bit of live data logging with it along with tuning and have had no problems..... I also run Tuner Studio on it, I used it when I built the MSPNP for the Turbo Coupe, everything worked ok, even when I did the testing to make sure it was working right...... So say all you want, but all the stuff your talking about works on my netbook........ I think Squirrel is even using a netbook for his MS setup.......
                          Last edited by TC; October 26, 2012, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I don't use my Tablet for my tuning software, that is what my netbook is for, I run HPTuners on it, done quite a bit of live data logging with it along with tuning and have had no problems..... I also run Tuner Studio on it, I used it when I built the MSPNP for the Turbo Coupe, everything worked ok, even when I did the testing to make sure it was working right...... So say all you want, but all the stuff your talking about works on my netbook........ I think Squirrel is even using a netbook for his MS setup.......
                            Interesting, how did you power up your MS to "check everything" ?

And why wouldn't you share any of your supposed HPT logs when I asked you to?

methinks someone is telling fibs again.

Comment

I'm still waiting for the iPad version of Tuner Studio although I have to say the SD logging on the MS3X has been a Godsend.
                              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                              X