1994 Ford 5.0 FI Returnless Fuel System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Ford 5.0 FI Returnless Fuel System

I'm going to be working on a 5.0 swap into a 67 Mustang,the owner has the complete engine harness and CPU from a 94 Mustang. I've only been talking with the guy,I have not seen the engine/parts he has ,he says its a returnless fuel system.
    Can this set-up be swapped in or is a conversion to a return system better?
    He does not have the stock pump or wiring for it.

Can the 94 CPU be used with a return system.

And...I just thought of this,is the 94 Mustang a PATS car,if so I'm thinking he just may need a 9L cpu or Mega Squirt PnP.

Ford didn't go to returnless until around 1999 MY, on the 4.6 Mustang. All 5.0 Mustangs were definitely return style systems. 94 would not be PATS either, that started in 1996. A word of advice, the 94-95 Mustang used a lot of unique parts and pieces on the intake system and the front engine dress that are either tougher to find and / or more expensive than the Fox stuff. For a swap in to an older car using OEM parts, you are better to use the 86-93 style stuff, 89-93 specifically to get the A9L MAF compatible computer that you mentioned.

We did this conversion about 10 years ago on the 68 Cougar 289 I had, using 90 Mustang stuff. Worked out pretty well. Just don't ask me for details though, car is gone, and my memory isn't getting any better with age!! LOL

Lots of sites can be found pertaining to what you want to accomplish, if you do a bit of Google searching.

cheers
    Ed
    Last edited by fast Ed; January 16, 2013, 05:45 PM.
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Ok got a chance to look it all over. It's going to run an American Auto Wire engine harness to the ECM that will interface with the New Ron Francis complete wiring harness. Should only take about 20hours to rewire the whole car LOL.

Im trying to talk the guy into a TanksInc intake fuel pump/pick up over strapping it to the floor and hopping it works with leass than 8 gallons in the tank.

Comment

Given the average condition of a 67 gas tank, a new tank is a good idea. I'd get one with a drain, and I would consider tank armor. EFI pumps seem to really hate not getting used, old bad gas plays hell on mine. The armor thing is just a nod to safety, too many dumbasses out there to live with 67 gas tank designs and fuel possibly getting into the car in a rear-ender.

A9L / MAF seems easy enough with max of 60 wires but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was thinking hard about an MS3 pnp for a Mustang. If you have to wire it anyway, an MS3 might be easier. I'm not that fond of MAF and lumpy cam idle surge.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          Given the average condition of a 67 gas tank, a new tank is a good idea. I'd get one with a drain, and I would consider tank armor. EFI pumps seem to really hate not getting used, old bad gas plays hell on mine. The armor thing is just a nod to safety, too many dumbasses out there to live with 67 gas tank designs and fuel possibly getting into the car in a rear-ender.

A9L / MAF seems easy enough with max of 60 wires but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was thinking hard about an MS3 pnp for a Mustang. If you have to wire it anyway, an MS3 might be easier. I'm not that fond of MAF and lumpy cam idle surge.
          Oh it pisses me off when I push the wroung button and have to retype my replys!

Owner has a new 22gal 70 tank so thats good.
          Im pushing for the in tank pump and tank shield, the bonus is it also protects the top mounted feed and return lines off the Tanks Inc pump.
          The engine wire harness is a new piece modded for a swap install so engine wise its plug and go,seperate 6 wire plug to connect to car.
          Mount a relay panel,3 IIRC,BAP(Its MAS air so its not a MAP)MAS and secure the ECM.
          All nice parts but $$ Im sure.
          The owner got over his head so I got the job.
          Last edited by Cyclone03; January 19, 2013, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone03 View Post
            Ok got a chance to look it all over. It's going to run an American Auto Wire engine harness to the ECM that will interface with the New Ron Francis complete wiring harness. Should only take about 20hours to rewire the whole car LOL.

Im trying to talk the guy into a TanksInc intake fuel pump/pick up over strapping it to the floor and hopping it works with leass than 8 gallons in the tank.
            I dont know how ford does their pump/tank but in a Chrysler we had 2 versions how to maintain
            the fuel pressure when the tank was low... first was a reservoir built into the bottom of the tank
            that had the return line attached to the reservoir.... second version was a reservoir mounted on
            the fuel pump itself(like a can surrounding the pump) and that unit had the return from the pump
            that dumped right back into the can... both systems worked very well... it could drain the tank to
            within .1 of a gal left in the tank and still retain full fuel pressure

Comment

Working...
            X