Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would you mount the injector bungs on this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where would you mount the injector bungs on this?

Keep in mind, the outer cowl panel is about 1/2" from the side facing the camera... it hangs off the hood panel edge seen at the top of the pic. So not much room...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00749.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	879729

I was thinking of putting a small throttle body in place of the carb, and could mount them below that on a tube or spacer. It would probably need only 2, maybe three, it's a low rpm motor.
    Last edited by Caveman Tony; February 28, 2013, 09:34 PM.
    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00749.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	867738

looks like a hard casting.

maybe an all in one like the four barrel looking injection stuff they got out there. expensive .
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 28, 2013, 09:42 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I'd install two, batch fire-simultaneous. I'm tempted to say horizontally at the 90* bend in the intake pointing down the runner, though I don't know if the throttle linkage would get tangled up wiht the injector. I'd even consider leaving the carb in place just no fuel in it, though a small throttle body would probably be easy to find.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

how many cubes is the engine? Start with a junkyard crawl looking for engines close to that size or a bit smaller - certainly you'll find a throttle body that would be close. With an iron intake I assume you're looking at brazing or using nickel rod to weld the injectors in place - or doing the JB weld thing.

Now you've got me thinking about putting an MS on my john deere 20hp kohler!
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'd build an new manifold out of black pipe. lol
          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I am thinking back to the Hot Rod Maverick that Chad, Scott Clark, Keith and David did.

Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

awesome old motor.straight shots to outside cylinders, but each intake port is feeding two cylinders right? Can you use three injectors and have them fire twice for the separate shot for 1 and 2? If you can use the same injector to give fuel twice you can go straight in the end two, maybe machine a bigger tube thru the air box on the manifold to place the middle injector at the same distance. It looks like you already have a throttle body though, just take off the top third of the carburetor.

Comment

Oh it is a six, I don't know what I was thinking.

The simplest thing would be to get a 1bbl TBI from an old 4-cyinder car (k car?). In any case, I think one injector per cylinder pair would be enough for this application.

I kind of like BBR's idea, lol.

Comment

does anyone make a pipe thread injector bung?

surely something like that wouldn't take much for a somewhat talented lathe operator to churn out - probably better out of steel or brass/bronze than aluminum. NPT on the outside, injector o-ring seal on the inside with a chamfer at the top to ease the o-ring into position.

Given the poor distribution of the inline 6 with centrally located carb - injectors aimed at each port would be a huge improvement - even if they're "batch fired" - don't you think Randal?
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                    Oh it is a six, I don't know what I was thinking.

The simplest thing would be to get a 1bbl TBI from an old 4-cyinder car (k car?). In any case, I think one injector per cylinder pair would be enough for this application.

I kind of like BBR's idea, lol.
                    Yeah. my first answer was right in front of the spark plug lol.

Comment

I actually started down the K-car throttle body route... and it is appetizing, except that the K-car piece is too wide. Doesn't fit behind the cowling/engine cover.

For that to fit, I would have to build an offset intake above the spark plugs over the center of the engine with a weird "S" curved intake down to the original intake. And it also has to fit under the fuel tank, which is directly above the center of the engine.

I actually think building a bolt-on plenum with injectors on the sides above the original intake wouldn't be such a bad setup. If I did that out of something like 3x4 square steel, would it cause issues with vapor lock from heat transfer?

This tractor actually runs great on level ground.... only problem is, I don't live on level ground. Or anywhere near it.
                      Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Oh, and it's a 218ci flathead-6 Chrysler industrial engine, one of the 'small block' of that family.

They also came in a bunch of other sizes...

Comment

For dead nuts stupid simple you could probably just make a tube that bolts in place of the carb and stick two injectors in it and it'll probably still function better than the carb, or at least give you less cold start and maintenance trouble.

Comment

For a low-rpm 218ci, how big of an injector would you go with? Not a lot of cfm going through there...

Comment

19lb/hr are about as small as you can go I think. They come in all sorts of stock applications from the late-80's through late 90's. V8 and V6's and probably most 4 cylinders.

Comment

Working...
                              X