Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would you mount the injector bungs on this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I google'd some formulae, (plural?) and came up with some interesting numbers...

218 c.i. = roughly 215 cfm req'd at around no more than 4000 rpm. This thing ain't a screamer..

Est HP? Meh.. Straight six flathead? 100. And that's being generous. Probly more like 80.

**Edit** wikipedia says the 46-49 I-6's had a rated 95 hp. Wheeeeee.... so it's actually around a 29lb/hr...

Formula for injector sizing: HP x .50 / # of injectors x .80

sooo.... 100 x .50 / 1 injector x .80 = 50 / 1.6 = 31.25 lb/hr injector if I run just one.

In a confined space, that might be just as well.

Thoughts?

Would you put one on a tubular piece above the original intake? Or two, opposing each other? Don't really think three smaller ones in each branch of the lower intake would be feasible, as the distribution would be way unequal. (center runners are way shorter, different flow, etc...)
    Last edited by Caveman Tony; March 5, 2013, 08:52 PM.
    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Two, pointed at each other on a chunk of pipe that replaces the carburetor. Or if you don't care about the carb, drill out the sides of it and glue injector bungs directly into it. Don't worry about a TPS sensor, run the accel enrichment off the vacuum. Just get a coolant and air temp sensor and call it good. Tune it by your nose and how it runs unless you can borrow an LC1 or want to try your hand at a $20 narrowband sensor (which might work decent for this application).
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Why pointed at each other?

Wouldn't they just smash the spray patterns together and make big fat globs of fuel?
        Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

The barrel is so narrow I don't know how you would avoid that anyways, plus if you set it up for alternating firing (common) then they would take turns. Or you could always stage them so that one only comes on above a certain rpm or load, of course that is a tad more difficult to tune.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

two or more are a good idea because, in a throttle body EFI situation you want to get as close to a continuous stream of incoming fuel as possible. I'd go with 2-4 injectors and run them in alternating pattern, multiple squirts per cycle. I've put a TBI on that same engine once already. It idled at 300rpm happy as a clam, lol.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I would just make a spacer out of aluminum and bore the holes in it for bungs, and use the carb for the TB. It could be a couple inches tall if needed to get some angle to it.
              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
              X